Goal: Drop FC by 20+ ppm by Father's Day

I'll try to keep this concise as I can.

CYA: 200 ppm (I know, I know. Previous owner was a Leslie devotee and regular dichlor/triclor puck user)
FC: 45 ppm
CC: 0

This is my first time opening the pool and never have owned a pool prior to Sept 2013. I have been reading TFP obsessively though. :D

A little background: I am SLAM'ing the pool taking into account CYA levels, actually went over by a bit. :puker: The water is crystal clear just waiting till tomorrow to complete the OCLT. Assuming I pass the OCLT, what are my chances of getting my FC levels down to swimming level on Father's Day? Pool Calc says 15-23 ppm FC is appropriate for my CYA. Forecast is cloudy and thunderstorms on Thurs and Fri. Bright and sunny on Sat. and Sun. Something tells me I'm not going to drop 20 ppm FC between now and Sunday.

I am planning on doing water replacement after Father's Day. Or, do you guys think it's more feasible to do it before Father's Day? My reasoning is to just live with the CYA level until Father's Day and then correct it afterwards because I have very limited time to work on the pool between now and Sunday.

I am looking into Leslie's Chlor Neutralizer to help me out. Is that a bad idea? Thanks guys.

You know you should have lowered that CYA first----then slammed. But it is what it is at this point and it is safe to swim up to slam level for your cya. How confident are you that it is.........ONLY.........200? That's just a too round fat comfortable number for me to buy. How was it tested?

Do the water replacement.

You can't possibly know what the CYA level actually is other than "high". None of the CYA tests produce usable results in that range. The CYA level could easily be far higher than you think it is. Similarly, you have no way of measuring the PH, and odds are it is fairly far off of what it should be.

Leslie's Chlor Neutralizer does what it claims to do and the price isn't too bad. Just don't add too much. It is far better to err on the side of adding too little and then adjust from there as needed.

Do the water replacement.

You can't possibly know what the CYA level actually is other than "high". None of the CYA tests produce usable results in that range. The CYA level could easily be far higher than you think it is. Similarly, you have no way of measuring the PH, and odds are it is fairly far off of what it should be.

Leslie's Chlor Neutralizer does what it claims to do and the price isn't too bad. Just don't add too much. It is far better to err on the side of adding too little and then adjust from there as needed.

Thanks for your advice. I don't know if I can pull off a water replacement before Father's Day. I wonder how difficult it will be to get the levels back after a water replacement. I think Pool calc. recommended I replace 80% of my water to get in range. I'd have to do that in a step-wise fashion no? I'm kicking myself for not emptying first, oh well. I tested my water using a Orion pH meter at work using a 2 buffer calibration...I got a reading of 7.31. Do you know if pH meter readings are rendered inaccurate at my CYA levels?

If that CYA is right, you are well under slam level and it is safe to swim now. You are doing things a bit backward.

With my numbers inputted into Pool Calc. Shock level is 41? I measured 45 ppm tonight. Is shock level different from SLAM level, I thought they were the same? Backwards as in, I should have emptied first? As others have stated, I should have emptied first but I don't think I have time to do that in time for Father's Day. I know the current CYA level is way far from ideal, but I'm willing to work with it just for Father's Day and then I'll replace the water.

Are you using the recommended PoolMath or pool calculator? The later had lower slam/shock levels.

According Pool School, shock level for 100 is 39ppm, so for 200 it would be 78ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.