Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Goal: Drop FC by 20+ ppm by Father's Day

1. Back To Top    #1

Goal: Drop FC by 20+ ppm by Father's Day

I'll try to keep this concise as I can.

CYA: 200 ppm (I know, I know. Previous owner was a Leslie devotee and regular dichlor/triclor puck user)
    FC: 45 ppm
    CC: 0

This is my first time opening the pool and never have owned a pool prior to Sept 2013. I have been reading TFP obsessively though.

A little background: I am SLAM'ing the pool taking into account CYA levels, actually went over by a bit. The water is crystal clear just waiting till tomorrow to complete the OCLT. Assuming I pass the OCLT, what are my chances of getting my FC levels down to swimming level on Father's Day? Pool Calc says 15-23 ppm FC is appropriate for my CYA. Forecast is cloudy and thunderstorms on Thurs and Fri. Bright and sunny on Sat. and Sun. Something tells me I'm not going to drop 20 ppm FC between now and Sunday.

I am planning on doing water replacement after Father's Day. Or, do you guys think it's more feasible to do it before Father's Day? My reasoning is to just live with the CYA level until Father's Day and then correct it afterwards because I have very limited time to work on the pool between now and Sunday.

I am looking into Leslie's Chlor Neutralizer to help me out. Is that a bad idea? Thanks guys.
    Pool: 19K IG, Vinyl, grecian
    Equipment: Hayward Super Pump (1hp), Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Goal: Drop FC by 20+ ppm by Father's Day

You know you should have lowered that CYA first----then slammed. But it is what it is at this point and it is safe to swim up to slam level for your cya. How confident are you that it is.........ONLY.........200? That's just a too round fat comfortable number for me to buy. How was it tested?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

If that CYA is right, you are well under slam level and it is safe to swim now. You are doing things a bit backward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah hindsight is 20/20. Oh well. I have the cya test from TFT. I had to dilute with tap to get a good reading. I had my wife do the test too and she got very close to the 100 line and I did too.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do the water replacement.

You can't possibly know what the CYA level actually is other than "high". None of the CYA tests produce usable results in that range. The CYA level could easily be far higher than you think it is. Similarly, you have no way of measuring the PH, and odds are it is fairly far off of what it should be.

Leslie's Chlor Neutralizer does what it claims to do and the price isn't too bad. Just don't add too much. It is far better to err on the side of adding too little and then adjust from there as needed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I do not understand why he should lower the FC when the cya may be higher than 200

Isn't it safe as is?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Do the water replacement.

You can't possibly know what the CYA level actually is other than "high". None of the CYA tests produce usable results in that range. The CYA level could easily be far higher than you think it is. Similarly, you have no way of measuring the PH, and odds are it is fairly far off of what it should be.

Leslie's Chlor Neutralizer does what it claims to do and the price isn't too bad. Just don't add too much. It is far better to err on the side of adding too little and then adjust from there as needed.
    Thanks for your advice. I don't know if I can pull off a water replacement before Father's Day. I wonder how difficult it will be to get the levels back after a water replacement. I think Pool calc. recommended I replace 80% of my water to get in range. I'd have to do that in a step-wise fashion no? I'm kicking myself for not emptying first, oh well. I tested my water using a Orion pH meter at work using a 2 buffer calibration...I got a reading of 7.31. Do you know if pH meter readings are rendered inaccurate at my CYA levels?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    If that CYA is right, you are well under slam level and it is safe to swim now. You are doing things a bit backward.
    With my numbers inputted into Pool Calc. Shock level is 41? I measured 45 ppm tonight. Is shock level different from SLAM level, I thought they were the same? Backwards as in, I should have emptied first? As others have stated, I should have emptied first but I don't think I have time to do that in time for Father's Day. I know the current CYA level is way far from ideal, but I'm willing to work with it just for Father's Day and then I'll replace the water.

9. Back To Top    #9

Are you using the recommended PoolMath or pool calculator? The later had lower slam/shock levels.

According Pool School, shock level for 100 is 39ppm, so for 200 it would be 78ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

If it were mine I would wait until the last minute then add the chlorine reducer with the intention of dumping most of the water afterward, but that is just me
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

I was using poolcalculator. I guess I'll use PoolMath from on. Thanks for clearing that up.

12. Back To Top    #12

The Orion pH meter should work even in these conditions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School