First results after PB did startup - help me to take over

Ale788

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2014
Houston, Texas
Hello! Love the site!

I'm a complete newbie and have read Pool School and many threads in recent weeks. Unfortunately too late to undo some unnecessary options with the new pool construction :pale:, but anyway, normally the hubby does all house/car/yard maintenance. I thought he would maintain the pool as well. However, ever since I found this site and have been preaching what-to-do and what-not-to-do in that lovely nagging wife tone, it seems to be in my hands. Please help this gal add chemicals for the first time!

6/7 evening - pool filled.

6/9 evening. Startup by PB guy (not the Sup over the build).
Test results just minutes before he started. Nothing added to water yet.
CL - 1
BR - 2
PH > 8.2
CH - 125
TA - 110

He started equipment and dumped stuff in. I don't know what. He gave us the wireless control about 9pm.
Next morning, saw that equipment not running. Breaker tripped, so we turned pump back on.

6/10 evening. Pump running about 12 hours now.
PH - 6.8
Did not test anything else.

6/11 evening. Not sure if I did tests for FC and CC right. What if the water turns completely clear after adding the drop, but then after some moments, it turns slightly pink again? Do you keep adding and counting the drops?
FC - 1.5
CC - 1.0
TC - 2.5
PH - 7.2
CH - 200
TA - 60
CYA - 0

Here is what I have on hand after a run to the store tonight:
Clorox bleach
Arm&Hammer baking soda
HTH stabilizer - 2 containers, 4 lbs each
HTH trichlor 3" tablets - 2 pucks

When I talked to PB Sup today. He said test for chlorine and if needed, add one tablet in each skimmer, if I don't know how to work the chlorinator. And he said I didn't need to do anything else. Wait for pool school.

Should I do as PB said or go ahead and do as pool calculator said?
FC - add 73 oz
CYA - add 75 oz
TA - add 131 oz

Thanks for the help!

He started equipment and dumped stuff in. I don't know what.

If you pool was filled on 6/7, stabilizer won't show up on the CYA test for at least a week they commonly say. It would be most helpful to know for sure if any of the "stuff" your PB dumped in was stabilizer or not. Would hate to recommend you add stabilizer only to find out your PB added a bunch and it just hasn't shown up on the test and have you end up with high CYA.

You will need to figure out about your current CYA situation. Staying at 0 will not be the best thing. Your chlorine will get consumed very quickly by the sun leaving you with 0fc and susceptible to algae growth. You will really need to find out if your PB put anything in, or depending how confident you feel, you could start with just one 4lb container of stabilizer and maintain 3-6 fc levels to begin with. Being in Texas your probably going to want to end up with 50-60 cya based on what I've seen from many others, but that is entirely up to you.

6/11 evening. Not sure if I did tests for FC and CC right. What if the water turns completely clear after adding the drop, but then after some moments, it turns slightly pink again? Do you keep adding and counting the drops?

If your water turns completely clear after adding the drop, add one more drop to make sure there's no further colour change. Then subtract the last drop and multiply by 0.5 to give your reading. Ignore the fact that it turns pink again, samples will ALWAYS turn pink again if you leave them standing.

Thanks, Abigail. I decided to re-do the FC and CC test.

Have not added anything yet myself. And just got confirmation that no separate stabilizer has been added because would get it via the tablets.

6/12 morning.
FC - 1
CC - 1.5

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.