Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lots of questions before my build

1. Back To Top    #1

Brandenburg ky

Lots of questions before my build

Ok first off I have a customer wanting a outdoor kitchen with a build in ref. and possibly a roll out trash can. I plan on framing it out of steel studs. I was planning on using 1/2" cement board on walls and then either stone tile or porcelain wall tile available at lowes. I was also considering cement board for countertop and granite tile or possibly travertine tile or porcelain tile on top. I was considering wrapping the top with rubber over cement board to be safe. I don't see where anyone else is really waterproofing the countertops if they are being tiled. So this is why I am mentioning rubber. Has anyone tried this? And what about the walls? Will just cement board , thin set and tile be good enough to keep from water seeping threw? Any other tips anyone could throw my way would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Lots of questions before my build

You could use a kerdi membrane under the tile for waterproofing. You see it used in tile showers quite a bit.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sunny SoCal

Re: Lots of questions before my build

If you are worried about the water, just coat the whole thing in RedGuard or Hydroban before you tile. Like said above, treat it like a shower and you should be good to go. John Bridge Tile forums will have a lot of info on waterproofing if you have any questions.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir