Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: discrepancy with CH test instructions

1. Back To Top    #1

discrepancy with CH test instructions

Sorry this is duplicate if u have been reading my thread "I'm on board; Want to ditch pool guy." I figured maybe thus should be a separate thread. Here is the post :

Kiss4afrog, yes, I am pretty sure I did the test correctly per the TF100 instructions. I even verified on the Extended Test Kit Directions by Jason Lion at this site that the volume was 10 ml (as stated in the TF100 instructions) vs. the 25 ml sample called for in the Extended Test Kit Directions. I used a 10 ml sample of water and followed the directions in the TF100, and then multiplied by 25. But, now you have me second guessing.

I just checked the TF100 website, and it calls for a 25 ml sample to be used. The laminated card in my kit calls for 10 ml sample. At the Extended Test Kit Directions, it reads:
    If you expect that your CH level is extremely high, you can do the test so that each drop is 25, instead of 10, to speed up the process and save on reagent usage. Use 10 ml of pool water, 10 drops of R-0010, 3 drops of R-0011L, and multiply the number of drops of R-0012 by 25 to get your CH level.

I don't know why TFTestkits has differing information on the laminated card with the TF100 kit vs. what I read at TFTestkits.net with regards to the sample size for the CH.

Is this any reason for me to retest and use the 25 ml sample? Using the 10 ml sample this AM, my level was 900. This is high, but much better than what I started at which was 1500. Per Pool Calculator, if I manage adjust my pH & TA, a CH of 900 can be managed and my water balanced per the CSI.
    19k gal IG plaster, built '70s, probably resurfaced in '80s-'90s; Blue Haven Hayward filter C4520BHMB (Filbur FC-1275 cartridges); Hayward MaxFlo sp2302 VSP 1.5hp; 6 solar panels 288. sq. ft. total (142"x47.5" ea.) on 1 story hm; Pentair Compool LX220 Solar Controller; FlowVis flow meter; Maytronics Dolphin S200; AG 300 gal AquaTerra spa; TF-100 & Speedstir; gone: Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP 1 speed; Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: discrepancy with CH test instructions

10ml uses less reagent and is accurate enough. Sounds like Dave needs to update the website to make that change.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Tx Jblizzle. That's why I thought the 10 ml sample would be better to use as it saves on reagent, but yes I did wonder if the 25 ml sample would yield differing results.
    19k gal IG plaster, built '70s, probably resurfaced in '80s-'90s; Blue Haven Hayward filter C4520BHMB (Filbur FC-1275 cartridges); Hayward MaxFlo sp2302 VSP 1.5hp; 6 solar panels 288. sq. ft. total (142"x47.5" ea.) on 1 story hm; Pentair Compool LX220 Solar Controller; FlowVis flow meter; Maytronics Dolphin S200; AG 300 gal AquaTerra spa; TF-100 & Speedstir; gone: Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP 1 speed; Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

I have found them to match pretty well, but I am only around 300.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!