From installation to SLAM and beyond (previously Future Pool Location)

Re: Future pool location photo

Is it better to test less frequently during the day to conserve bleach when I don't have CYA readings yet? Or do I just continue to dose as frequently as every hour?

I believe testing and adding bleach less frequently could actually cause you to use even more bleach in the long run as it would extend the length of your SLAM. The more frequently you test and dose, when needed, the faster the SLAM will go, using less bleach overall. Sometimes even as frequently as every half hour when chlorine consumption is really high. As your consumption slows you can slow your testing, but make sure you always Maintain SLAM levels until you have a clear pool, .5 or less CC and pass OCLT.

I'm sure someone more experienced than me will come along to confirm this.

I'm testing regularly and adding what pool math says to add to work my way up to FC 10. How should I be doing it differently?

My most recent test indicates a FC of 9.5. I added 12 oz 10% liquid chlorine to bring it up to 10. My CYA is still less than 20, but I only added it 2 days ago so I wouldn't expect much to show up yet.

You said "FC dropped from 5.5 to 0.5" ... if you were following the process, you would have added more FC when you measured 5.5 last night.
That is what jumped out at me.

If you can not maintain a FC at 10ppm for 30-60 minutes in the evening, then there is no point in worrying about the OCLT yet.

Totally right...I understand. I guess I was more "talking out loud" and making the comment because I knew I still had a lot of work to do. I think I'm def going to make it to 10 tonight. My water is nearly clear, so I'm hopeful. If my final reading of the evening is 10, and I've held it for an hour after taking my last measurement, I'll try OCLT again in the morning.

Turned on light after dark, the water is not nearly as clear as it looks in the daylight. The SLAM will continue tomorrow.

Keep up the good work :goodjob:

It is hard to have a pool clear in the pool light ... I have a lot of gunk visible at night from all the tree debris that falls in.

Well, I made into to 10 last night, but was back down to 3 this morning. I need to do some guessing on how much more 10% I'm going to need. I think I'm down to 12 jugs on hand and I can see this is going to be taking another couple of days. I should be using less and less bleach each day as my FC drifts slowly up to 10. If I over buy, I'm sure I'll get it used up during pool season or when I close.

My water is still looking clear. My CC is less than 1 as of 7:30 this morning. Still I am losing chlorine at night. Over the past few days, my first morning readings have slowly drifted up from .5, .5, 3, 3.5, 7, and this morning 7.5. I'm assuming I can expect this trend to continue and I'll eventually see no chlorine loss.

So...when I finally see 1) clear water, 2) CC of .5 or less and 3) pass the OCLT I'm done slamming and let theEdit CC FC drop to 4 and maintain it there. That's correct right? And then I only need to test FC and pH once daily and add chlorine from there as long as all the parameters are in order. And then I run the full array of tests once a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

:brickwall: Why can't I pass OCLT????? The water has been crystal clear and the CC is .5 or less for a few days now. I have brushed the walls and vacuumed every day but one. I didn't even have algae to start with, just really gross well water. This is making me pretty frustrated.

Can you offer any suggestions for how to handle running out of reagent during slam? I ordered yesterday, thinking I had plenty, but I'm sure now that I won't make it until Tuesday. I don't want to lose the progress I've made so far. Each night I lose a little bit less FC. Last night I only lost 2. I'm really close. Help:cry:

Well, you can not really SLAM without the FAS-DPD. The best you can do is estimate the amount of chlorine to add based on your records, but that is not ideal and you do not want to raise it too high.

Can you offer any suggestions for how to handle running out of reagent during slam? I ordered yesterday, thinking I had plenty, but I'm sure now that I won't make it until Tuesday. I don't want to lose the progress I've made so far. Each night I lose a little bit less FC. Last night I only lost 2. I'm really close. Help:cry:
It's not very accurate, but it will keep you from backsliding

You can stay in a holding pattern and not regress by using this as a rough color guide: Blinding tweety-bird yellow is about 10. School bus (construction equipment) yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange. I never went any higher than that, but it's been reliably reported that it eventually will turn brown if you get high enough.

I tested CYA this morning. It's between 20-30. I have listed such a wide range because I'm not sure how to read the test. Even though the water is cloudy, I can still make out the black dot if I try. Do you stop and take the measurement when the black dot truly disappears or just when it is mostly obscured? If it's the latter, my CYA is right around 30. Do I add more?

My SLAM is still ongoing. My testing supplies arrived on Monday so I didn't end up backsliding very much. I'm still at a OCLT of 2. CC is .5 and water is clear except for debris from the rain we had last night. My water level is so high that the water slops out of the skimmer box when I take the skimmer basket out. Is that too high or can I just let the excess evaporate over time?

On a funny note, we have an enormous inflatable killer whale. It's a ride on toy so big it's hard to get it through a door and it's easily 5'5" tall. It disappeared out of the pool last night in the wind. We got a text from a neighbor that the whale was in a corn field 1/4 mile from the house. Willy was all one piece, just a little dirty. Willy will either be getting tied up or brought inside at night from now on. I'm so glad Willy is safe! :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.