From installation to SLAM and beyond (previously Future Pool Location)

Re: Future pool location photo

This is my water:puker:

This is my new pump and filter.

Since I have no experience with pools, pumps or filters, I'm wondering how much water I'm going to lose while I'm trying to get the water clean. The pool guy said to fill the pool water 1/2 way up the skimmer and then start things up. Am I going to need another load of water before the pool is clean?

The pool is filled and I have the pump and filter doing their jobs. My first water test results:
FC - 0
pH - 7.2 (this is after the addition of 1 gallon muriatic acid earlier in the day)
TA - 230 (down from 280)
CH - 200
CYA - 0
CC - 0 ( this is 30 min. after the addition of 96 oz of 10% bleach)

I added 6.4 lbs stabilizer in three socks to get that level up. I must be doing something wrong in pool math regarding chlorine. It keeps telling me to add 96 oz each time I have a 0 test result. I feel like I need to dump in 3-4 jugs of 10% just to see a change. Why does it only say to add 96 oz?

If you are only looking for a 2-3ppm rise, then only 96 oz should be needed. Until the CYA is in the water, the sun is going to burn off the FC very quickly.

That amount WILL add 2-3ppm of FC ... how long that lasts in the pool before it is lost to the sun or consumed by organics is unknown.

Now your water is filthy, so the chlorine likely disappears quickly. You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. So for now start targeting 10ppm and test every hour or so and bump it back up.

Looks like for your pool you need to toss in close to two gallons to get up past 10ppm but the trick is to hold it up that high the whole time. You want to do a little over and try to test often to keep it from getting much below 10ppm. That's what will clean up your pool the quickest and use the least bleach in the long run.
If you're not sure about SLAM like Jblizzle posted the link, it's worth reading again.

- - - Updated - - -

Opps, you added 6+ lbs CYA so you will have a reading of 40 soon and that would take your FC SLAM target to 16ppm. So that would take just a bit over 3 gallons.

Remember to squeeze the socks occasionally. Getting in there and kneading them helps dissolve the stuff. If you just toss it in the skimmer it can take a lot of days to dissolve on it's own. Working that sock helps get that stuff into the pool. That and don't backwash for a while, week if possible. AND it might be a weak before it shows up on the test so don't bother to retest any time soon. See pool school.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So I did do an oops last night. I turned my filter off during SLAM. Not to worry, it is on now and will remain on until the 3 SLAM criteria are met. I tested at 7am and had: FC - .5 (added 228 oz 10% bleach)
pH - 6.8

I need to raise the pH so I can hit the pool with more muriatic acid to drop TA. My return is also a light (aqualuminator). There is an optional att attachment that makes it a fountain too, but the reviews aren't the greatest and because of that I don't know if I want to spend $50 on it. Do I have any other options besides the floating pool fountains? I'm a visual learner, so pictures of ideas will be helpful.

On a positive note, my water is much clearer this morning. When I started this process, I wished I had a Secchi disk so I could show reduction in turbidity. Just from yesterday to today is great. I'll try to get an improvement picture on here later.

FC seems to be stuck at one even with the addition 436 oz. 10% bleach (over the past few hours). I will wait 30 min instead of an hour to test, to see if there is a change then. I 'm about out of bleach and won't be leaving the house to get more for about 3 hours. It will probably be completely back to zero by the time we get back around 4:00.

Is it normal to not see progress after so much addition of bleach? I guess I can probably answer my own question...yes, since I have so much organic matter in the water. There are a lot of little brown floaties in the water. It forms a film on the pool walls that easily wipes off. Do I just wait for it to filter out or is there something else I need to add?

FC seems to be stuck at one even with the addition 436 oz. 10% bleach (over the past few hours). I will wait 30 min instead of an hour to test, to see if there is a change then. I 'm about out of bleach and won't be leaving the house to get more for about 3 hours. It will probably be completely back to zero by the time we get back around 4:00.

Waited 30 min. and retested....still 1.

Is it normal to not see progress after so much addition of bleach? I guess I can probably answer my own question...yes, since I have so much organic matter in the water. There are a lot of little brown floaties in the water. It forms a film on the pool walls that easily wipes off. Do I just wait for it to filter out or is there something else I need to add?

What IS this stuff?

You are right, your water is a mess and is going to consume a lot of FC. You seem to be doing a good job testing and adding, so hopefully will clear up relatively quickly.

Here is my water now.

I think that's quite an improvement. My skimmer is resting on the bottom of my pool and I can see the design on the liner at the bottom too.

My pH is still quite low. Any ideas for aeration since I can't use my return?

I keep forgetting that pH is not valid during SLAM. Would there be any benefit to adding muriatic acid at this time even though I can't measure pH?

No. Adding muriatic will not be of any benefit whatsoever.

QUOTE I keep forgetting that pH is not valid during SLAM. Would there be any benefit to adding muriatic acid at this time even though I can't measure pH?

I knew it didn't sound right, but I'm pretty impressionable being a new pool owner. The lady from the pool store came out and showed me how to operate my Lil shark vacuum and gave me two jugs of MA. She said she adds it to her pool when it looks green like mine does and it helps it turn blue faster. I did not add any, since I knew my pH was spot on right before I began my SLAM.

Something I learned tonight...turning on the pool light when the water is still a mess is sort of like turning your high beams on in the fog. :shock:

The 5 am OCLT was a fail....I really didn't expect anything different. FC dropped from 5.5 to .5. I added the recc amount of bleach and at 6am, the FC was 6. As much forward momentum as I'm making now, I fear it's probably short lived. Once the sun hits the pool, it's going to be a struggle.

Is it better to test less frequently during the day to conserve bleach when I don't have CYA readings yet? Or do I just continue to dose as frequently as every hour?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.