What do you think.

unkyjoe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
Seguin TX
So last year I had the pool up, it was about 2 inches out of level.

I drained it to clean it at the end of the year "after failing to keep the algae under control" and we had a wind storm which flipped the pool over and bent some of the T joints and some of the horizontal members.

Rather than take a chance on repairing the damage we bought another 16x48 ultra frame this year.

Here is my plan, level the dirt as much as possible, then bring in crusher run and a plate compactor and level the crusher run, it will be from 2-3 inches of crusher run and with the plate compactor and a laser level it should be easier than leveling the dirt. Once this is done I am wondering if I need to use pavers to set the legs on, the crusher run will be out about 1-2ft larger than the pool itself and once it is compacted and level all the way around it should support the legs without sinking.

Then I will place foam over the crusher, then the tarp and then setup the pool. Going to use 3/4 inch foam.

Your thoughts?

like jason said, use the pavers. Otherwise id bet your legs would sink. Intex actually says to put up their pools on plain dirt. No sand, gravel, or anything is needed or recommended as a base, just packed dirt free of rocks, roots, or anything that may puncture the liner. Many do put a base under them though. My 18 x 48 ultra frame that I just took down in favor of our new pool was just on a leveled dirt area on 8 x 16 pavers and was within 1/2 an inch of level. I never had any leaning or settling issues at all.

If I was doing another intex tomorrow, I would do it the same way again, strip the grass away, level off a dirt area, and put it up on pavers. unless you have very sandy soil, there really is no need for crusher, sand, or anything else.

Yup pavers are the go... And everything else you are planning to do is right on the money :) Levelling sux, and its a necessary evil, but it makes the pool look so much better when its done right... :) Good luck.... I'm doing the same thing to my pool at the moment....

In regards to the pavers, just how far do you think they would sink if it had a good base anyways?

The pool itself will only draw them down so far then settle off as the bulk of the water is pushing down on the liner, spreading out over the pool area. It can only go so far until everything equals out. So if you build a proper base, (I said PROPER), you should not have much issues with the legs sinking.

Pavers as well, no doubt.

There is a product that most quarries carry called "screenings" or "fines"....it has no stones in it much larger than 3/8". In my opinion, it is the perfect application for what you are doing.

Stone masons use it under pavers because it much easier to get level and smooth than crusher run and compacts nicely. Check it out before you get the crusher run in there....I think you'll like it.

Duraleigh,

Yes I meant to say "fines or screenings" the soil we have here is Houston Black Clay, when it gets wet the pool sinks and the soil turns to GUMBO. My theory is if the fines are wetted and compacted they in a sense become like concrete thus I cant see the need for the pavers under the legs. It seems to me to complicate things.

The pro pool installers in my area now use this as a standard install for AGP in this area because of the soil conditions. Worst case I can always add the pavers if I notice any sinking during the summer season I guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In regards to the pavers, just how far do you think they would sink if it had a good base anyways?

The pool itself will only draw them down so far then settle off as the bulk of the water is pushing down on the liner, spreading out over the pool area. It can only go so far until everything equals out. So if you build a proper base, (I said PROPER), you should not have much issues with the legs sinking.

The legs will have a much greater ground pressure than the floor of the pool. Add in the fact that the bottom of the feet that come with the Ultra Frame pools are not a smooth surface, they will sink a bit even in a properly prepared base. Placing the feet on pavers will greatly reduce the ground pressure of the legs and will keep the legs from sinking.

If your Ultra Frame doesn't come with the rope for the bottom of the legs, as mine did(n't), some sort of ratcheting strap combination to keep the legs as close to the pool and plumb as possible is just as important as what's under the feet -- in my humble opinion ;-)

I don't have anything under the legs of my Intex 15' - 48" pool. It is also sitting on just plain dirt. The last three years I had small 1/4" thick pieces of fence pickets under the legs but forgot to put them under this year. My legs have not sunk at all.

Houston Black Clay is an awful beast... When dry it is hard as a rock, get it wet and even you will sink into the ground when walking across it. It is a very expansive soil as well. So when it drys back out it shrinks as well.

I am going to go with the pavers, even though I am extending the "crusher" 1 ft past the side of the pool. I learned this from last years splashing out of pool water caused the legs to sink as well.

Once the pool is set and I am sure it is level, I will install landscape edging right along the edge of the "crusher" run and then fill this with some gravel for drainage and to keep the "crusher" from washing out from rain or splash-over.

Even though the pool last year was initially 2 inches out of level on 1 side of the pool, by then end of the summer with fall rains the low side had sunk another 2.5 inches and the pool was leaning visibly :(

I am taking my time this year, and while I am not attempting to level the soil more than an inch or two I will be making sure the "crusher" will be level and well compacted, and the legs on blocks. Wish me luck and I will post photos as we go along :)

Houston Black Clay is an awful beast... When dry it is hard as a rock, get it wet and even you will sink into the ground when walking across it. It is a very expansive soil as well. So when it drys back out it shrinks as well.

I am going to go with the pavers, even though I am extending the "crusher" 1 ft past the side of the pool. I learned this from last years splashing out of pool water caused the legs to sink as well.

Once the pool is set and I am sure it is level, I will install landscape edging right along the edge of the "crusher" run and then fill this with some gravel for drainage and to keep the "crusher" from washing out from rain or splash-over.

Even though the pool last year was initially 2 inches out of level on 1 side of the pool, by then end of the summer with fall rains the low side had sunk another 2.5 inches and the pool was leaning visibly :(

I am taking my time this year, and while I am not attempting to level the soil more than an inch or two I will be making sure the "crusher" will be level and well compacted, and the legs on blocks. Wish me luck and I will post photos as we go along :)

Good Luck! Sounds like you are doing it right. Hopefully your base will hold up and you won't have to go through this process again. We'll be watching for your photos!

UPDATE:

Turns out the new pool I bought is not the Intex, it is instead the Polygroup Pro Series with the basket skimmer. Looks like a well built pool, in fact the horizontal and vertical beams while not as large as the Intex ones, seem to be much heavier grade of steel than the Intex. Time will tell, I have heard of some people having issues with the quality of these pools, lets hope I get lucky.

So here is my plan, I am going to put together the upper metal ring of the pool to mark out where my pavers go.

Then using a water level I will find the lowest spot where the pool will go and place my first paver, once it is level and plumb I will place the next paver and level that to the first one, moving clockwise around the exterior until all of the pavers are level with one another.

After placing these pavers I will place another paver 'temporary" in the center of the circle and then level it off of the first outside paver.

This way I can focus on leveling the outside wall of the pool first, then using the center paver as a guide I will be able to see where to take down the dirt in sections to get this as level as possible, once this is done I will come in with the "fines" to level the bottom of the pool with all of the pavers, hopefully this will make it easier to see where the high spots are, I have an 8ft steel level to use instead of a board, this is why I am placing a temporary paver in the middle.

Thoughts?

P.S. The pavers I am using are a 6x9 inch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.