How to make my pump pump harder

Jun 11, 2014
Carlsbad/NM
I have a Intex® Krystal Clear Sand Filter - 16" pump for my Intex 32 ft. x 16 ft. x 52 in. Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool. I purchased a Hayward AquaRay Automatic Pool Cleaner. It will run for a short period of time and then stop pumping. I take it off and the pump is just barely sucking. How can I improve the amount of suction into the pump. I checked for blockage and found nothing.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

When was the last time you cleaned the filter? You can not make a pump move more water without lower the resistance to flow.

Could be that your pump is just too weak to run that cleaner (although admittedly I know little about the Intex pump/filters).

We cleaned it before we put it on the pool this year. How do I lower the resistance to flow?

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't tried backwashing the filter yet. Will try that tonight.
Clean the filter. Install larger pipes. Make sure no valves are partially closed and there is no clog.

You need to clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

On the suction side, where the vacuum hose plugs into pool wall, unscrew the blue adapter and check the plastic grid behind it. Many Many Many times it will be full of bugs, leaves, algae, funk and it will dramatically reduce how much fluid you can move. When I got a real pump and filter for my pool I ended up just cutting that grid out of there. However with that grid cut out I never run my vacuum without a Leaf catcher between the vacuum and the pool wall, Good Luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.