Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bond to rebar?

1. Back To Top    #1

Middle TN

Bond to rebar?

So we're about ready to pour the coping on our pool in the next couple of days if the rain will hold off and I have a bonding question. I think I'm probably just being overly cautious. So we did the "alternate means of bonding" described in the 2011 NEC which is essentially a #8 wire, (technically we used #6) looped all the way around the pool 18 to 24 inches away from the pool wall and 4 to 6 inches below subgrade tied back into the pool walls(vinyl) and into the mounts for the ladder/hand rail. Now the pool builder is laying out rebar to be encased in the coping. Should I tie that rebar into the #6 loop around the pool? If so, what do I need to put on the rebar to tie it into the copper. I assume I can splice a pig tail onto the loop end with brass bolt splice, but i wasn't sure what needed to go onto the rebar? Grounding lug? Thoughts?
    18 x 36 Vinyl Inground, Coverstar Cover, 2 speed Pentair Pump, Hayward 425 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump, Prologic PS8, T-15 Salt Cell, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Bond to rebar?

Yes, you should bond the rebar. You use a clamp listed as suitable for bonding to clamp the wire to the rebar.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School