Alright pool masters, being the novice here I have a question (and I just got in a debate with a guy at work regarding pool stuff). I was told that following SLAM won't clear my pool, instead I should purchase clarifier and flocking agent, and that all I am doing will bleach my liner and make it fail sooner (which is whatever cause I will replace it next year anyways). Am I really doing it wrong or should I not trust his advice? To me, it sounds like he wants me to buy snake oil.

Short answer is that you don't need clarifier and flock. I was going to ask about your situation and levels, but I noticed that you already have a thread going where you are trying to clear a "cesspit". You should keep all your questions together to keep it less confusing. Keep up with the SLAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much of time clarifier and floc cost money and effort and do nothing, though some of the time they can speed up the process.

Bleach is no more of a risk to your liner than any other form of chlorine, and less of a risk than some. It is very easy to let the PH get too low with trichlor tablets, which is the fastest way to damage your liner.

Rather than try to say something to convince you I suggest you search this forum for the hundreds if not thousands of SLAM success stories. In my years here I can't think of a single time the SLAM process has failed if followed correctly. The rare failures that do happen involve people not following the advice we give by using solid forms of chlorine and not using one of the suggested test kits, which is sort of like blaming the recipe when you substitute ingredients.

Am I really doing it wrong or should I not trust his advice? To me, it sounds like he wants me to buy snake oil.
Only you can say if you are doing it "wrong". We all make choices on how we do things. Following TFPC is not right or wrong. Just a method to care for your pool. It works.

That is not to say that other methods won't work. But for how long and how reliably? You can follow pool store advice and at the end of the road you will have their dreaded "chlorine lock" and have to do a drain and refill to fix it.

Your friend is taking the path of least resistance. Follow the advice of the pool store "experts". Human nature predisposes up to reinforce our actions by convincing others to follow our ways. He just wants you to do what he does to validate his actions. Debating the points with him will probably be futile.

To quote Mark Twain; "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

Maybe your co-workers son or daughter works for a pool store :crazy:
I used to do the pool store thing and like many many others have found this way so much easier and cheaper. I especially like using liquid chlorine compared to the pool store granular.
I did use a flocking agent this year and it did help me but I'm pretty sure it was just me being impatient as this year the pool opened in pretty bad shape and seemed to take forever. My fault for not keeping up with it at the end of last year and the owner not wanting to buy chemical. Following the program turned mine from green to blue.
Best to just agree to disagree with your co-worker and when you go home to your clean sparkling pool that likely is costing you a third as much in chemical as his is you can just smile.

Have you read up on Pool School and the chemicals they recommend ??

Also helps if you add your pool info to your "signature" in your profile or settings/

Maybe your co-workers son or daughter works for a pool store :crazy:
I used to do the pool store thing and like many many others have found this way so much easier and cheaper. I especially like using liquid chlorine compared to the pool store granular.
I did use a flocking agent this year and it did help me but I'm pretty sure it was just me being impatient as this year the pool opened in pretty bad shape and seemed to take forever. My fault for not keeping up with it at the end of last year and the owner not wanting to buy chemical. Following the program turned mine from green to blue.
Best to just agree to disagree with your co-worker and when you go home to your clean sparkling pool that likely is costing you a third as much in chemical as his is you can just smile.

Have you read up on Pool School and the chemicals they recommend ??

Also helps if you add your pool info to your "signature" in your profile or settings/

Perhaps they do lol.

I believe I have my pool info in my signature line.

Yes, I have read up on pool school and SLAM extensively. I set my PH, than set CYA to 35, than SLAMed away. Back washing when filter pressure goes up around 20%, brushing and vacuuming daily. Chemical levels are a bit jumpy cause it has been pouring for two days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.