Brand new pool, let's get chemistry right!

Jul 12, 2013
Clarksburg, MD
Ok, so just filled with 21k gallons yesterday (sourced from pool water company who uses city water to fill).

Added startup bottle off Jacks Magic yesterday right after filling per PB instructions. Have brushed pool 3 times already, pool equipment not being turned on until tomorrow (can't turn on earlier or will void warranty).

Did readings at 2:30 today and here is where we stand

FC - 0
CC - 0
TA - 110
CH - 110
CYA - 0
PH -8.2 + brighter than 8.2

So the calculator has me adding a Costco store full of stuff. Should I add all of this before pool gets turned up tomorrow or wait until after pool is running for 24 hours and retest then add?

Also, when adding as much as I need to, should I add in increments or all at once?

Thanks again in advance and let's get me on the TFPC method right away!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

1. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School so you understand why you are adding or not adding. PoolMath will not fix your pool. PoolMath gives you a starting point from which you base your additions/adjusments but you need to understand why you are making them.

2. Lower your pH down around 7.4

3. Add enough CYA to get to about 40- ppm...buy enough for 50 ppm but do not add it all until later.

4. Add enough chlorine to get your FC up to about 5 ppm. Purchase plenty. you'll have to put it in your pool daily to maintain 5 ppm FC.

If Costco is empty after that, please post a pic.:D

Do not add everything at exactly the same moment :) Give it at least five minutes between additions.

The order sometimes matters, but none of these particular changes really depend on each other, so you could do this in any order.

I'm back....got equipment turned on and added half a Costco store full of stuff....

PH 7.8 - Added muriatic acid on 6/12 at noon, retested at 1800 same day....should I add more right away or wait a day or two?
FC 3 - Added 121 oz of 8.25 Bleach at noon, I need to add 32oz more, again, today or wait?
CC - 0
TA - 70 - Should I worry about this yet....I'm not inclined to
CH 110 - Again, not worrying about this yet
CYA - 0 - Added ~70oz of stabilizer (crystals) I understand this takes time to break down...when do I add more and when should it start showing up? For the record it showed up "some" when the cylinder was full it was at least hazy although I could still see the black dot.

Going out of town tonight for one day, and want to get levels somewhat in range before being gone for 24 hours.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.