Black Algae

Jul 16, 2008
I have a 30 thousand gallon pool. I have an in ground pool with a vinyl liner. My filter is old it has 3 cartridges in it. When I left an we had a little bit of black algae spots but when I returned almost the entire pool liner was black. I put 4 1/2 pounds of black algae in it and 6 pounds of super shock. I scrubbed it twice today and I have a few spots that are cleaned. I am breaking my back is there anything else I can do? How long does it take to get rid of this. Please help.
Thank you,

Carol

Hi, algae can be really difficult to get rid off, especially if you are not following the instructions to properly shock your pool.

Can you tell us what products, exactly you used?

Also, if you can post a complete set of test results, we can help you better. In the meantime, read the articles in pool school to get you started.

IT's going to take a lot of chlorine/bleach to kill the algae, and if it is "black algae" alot of back breaking elbow grease brushing your pool daily....

But it can be dealt with, if you learn the proper water chemistry and technique, which is not as difficult as it seems now, I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed.

We'll do our best to help you! :cry:

Pressure washing the "heads" off of the black algae while at shock level can help dramatically. To get the same effect manually you need to brush several times a day. When brushing you don't have to brush really vigorously, just brush lightly and very frequently. Brushing exposes the deeper layers so that the chlorine can work on them. It takes a while to get down to the roots unless you pressure wash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.