Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: XPS not available can I use Polyisocyanurate

1. Back To Top    #1

Question XPS not available can I use Polyisocyanurate

XPS not available in my area Sacramento CA lots of building going on.... can I use Polyisocyanurate instead or should I use EPS.... I am putting up a Intex pro series 14x42 on a concrete pad... I have read that some here have used it.... Anyone have an problems/damage to the pool caused by using Polyi?

Thanks for you input...

Dave

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: XPS not available can I use Polyisocyanurate

Welcome to TFP!!!

I have no idea what you are talking about, but someone should be able to help.

I just wanted to ask that you update you profile with a useful location. If you are willing to state it in your first post, I am not sure why you would not put it in your profile so we do not have to ask in every thread you create.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I, too, have no idea what you are talking about. Putting your correct state and city in your sig is quite helpful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe he's talking about foam board. Extruded Polystyrene is hard to find in California for some reason. The yellowish foil backed foamboard is not.

Sorry... even though I understand the question, I don't have an answer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

He is talking about rigid foam board. Probably questioning if he can use it under the AGP

***Went to get a drink before posting and Richard beat me to the punch***
    Last edited by tim5055; 06-11-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: to admit Richard beat me
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Crew Dawg Dave,

Can you order XPS online or through a local Home Depot or Lowes or what ever stores you have there? Maybe they can bring it in from another store for you?
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh, also, when I was researching for my own use of XPS, I called a sheet insulation manufacturer. I'm not sure what Polyisocyanurate is but, if it is regular insulation, they told me that it would be crushed by the weight of the pool. The 3/4" I used was all that was available in Florida. I guess we don't get cold enough here to warrant the thicker stuff that others on here use.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the info Taterfink... I needed to get the pool up and running (for medical reasons) So I went with the 1 inch Polyi foam board. It is similar to XPS that you used. There is a bit of a building boom going on (again!) so XPS is not available in Lowes or Home Despots. We will see how the polyi holds up. I did take some pics and when I download them I will try to post some. Thanks again for your help.
    Dave
    Intex ProSeries 14' X 42" Metal Frame AGP, Vinyl, 3300 gal. factory cartridge filter and pump. (Soon to be upgraded) base is 1 inch Polyi foam board over concrete. Red wood deck and Soon to arrive Confer Plastics Curve Base In-Pool Steps
    West coast... Nor CA.

9. Back To Top    #9

Dave,

you are most welcome. I'm glad that I could be of help.

Can't wait to see you pictures!

Angie
    Angie M.