Opening the Pool

Jun 14, 2011
New Jersey
So I am getting ready to open the pool by myself 2nd time and ofcourse forgotten all things I learned from you guys last year !:( I promise to write down notes this time around as it bugs me to keep coming back here and bothering you for stuff I should already know ! I have a 29,000 Gallon Salt Water pool. From what I recall I should first shock until passing the overnight test before adding salt or any chemicals and such correct? I then would adjust PH and start taking tests on the rest of levels? I can probably dump the salt in after shocking as well and start the chlorinator up?

Adjust pH then SLAM if your water isn't clear. Once you pass the OCLT you can spin up the SWG (don't forget to wait the appropriate amount of time after adding the salt to the pool).

Pool School has some articles that may help you.

I have been looking at Pool School but could not find an answer to exact order of things for opening the pool. From what I recall last year you guys recommended to shock first. The Pool School gives good advise on adjusting water levels but I do not think its for Opening purposes? It says to add salt first then many other chemicals but wouldn't I be dumping them all when I backwash during shocking? The previous poster stated to adjust PH first but I thought last year someone suggested to shock first so now I am bit confused.
Can you guys suggest a good Calcium Hardness alternative to stuff pool places sell? my pool usually takes a lot and this stuff expensive, can I really use regular de-icer from wallmart/home depot?

So I opened the pool finally today, water looks clear and very little debris. I remembered when I opened it last year the PH was on the low side and I did not adjust it at all until it rose above the allowable limit which took a long time, maybe 3 weeks. It was around 7 if I recall to start with and held for a long time which is weird for a salt water pool. Do I need to adjust if its on the low side before shocking? Since I always just had to lower PH with muriatic acid before I do not have anything to increase the PH.

Have you run your tests yet? that should be the first step. After posting them here someone will be able to tell you which needs addressed first. If something is really off you may need to fix it before slamming.

Have you run your tests yet? that should be the first step. After posting them here someone will be able to tell you which needs addressed first. If something is really off you may need to fix it before slamming.

No I have not and I run into trouble which is delaying my opening :/. Last night after I dived down to open my attached spa drains I ran to take a shower only to find out my well pump has died :/ Had people last night and all morning working on getting a new one put in..... don't even want to think about the cost of that. I just turned on my pool equipment and noticed my heater is leaking water. I took the cover off and noticed the company who closed the pool must have disconnected something and there is a little metal pipe that is shooting water. I have not had this disconnected by anyone in the past so not sure what I need to do. I took pictures of the three things I see lose that might need connecting, can someone help? I see the metal pipe, some kind of a plastic cylinder laying on bottom and a wire (possible electrical)?

Hmmm, I can not add at attachment for some reason? I acutally added an attachment but I do not see it here, I tried inserting image but just keep getting some error about exceeding my quota.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.