Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 1/2" or 2" Pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

1 1/2" or 2" Pipe

Greetings,

Working on setting up the pool and have flexible hoses currently but would like to switch to rigid pipe. The pool is not that big but wondering if I should use 1 1/2 or 2 inch sized pipe. I looked through the hydraulics 101 post but I may be too dense to decipher the information. Lol.

Schedule 40?

Thanks.
    Paul

8000 gal 18' x 48" AG steel wall pool, 1 HP Hayward Perflex DE filter, SWG, Jandy Lite 2 Heater - 175K BTU

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1 1/2" or 2" Pipe

With your smaller pool/pump, 1.5" would be fine. You might get a little more flow with 2", but not sure it would be worth the added cost.

My pool runs fine on a single 1.5" suction line.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, schedule 40.

I recommend 2" all the time because it really doesn't cost much more so it tends to be worth it even when it only makes a small difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I'm using 2 inch as the intex fittings that came with my pool are 2 inch... My pool is tiny compared to most...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice. I will probably go with the 2".
    Paul

8000 gal 18' x 48" AG steel wall pool, 1 HP Hayward Perflex DE filter, SWG, Jandy Lite 2 Heater - 175K BTU