Leveling ground for pool

Apr 24, 2014
Florida
Hello. I have a question about leveling the ground for the pool. The pool will be on a small slope. I was planning on digging the high end out to match the low, but this is not possible due to the sprinkler system being in the way. I'm going to have to add dirt to bring up the low side. My plan was to build a small retaining wall on the low end and filling it with dirt then compacting it down. I will only need about 4 inches of fill. What do you guys think about this or recommend I should do?

Thanks.

it is always better to cut than to fill. There is a lot of weight on that ground, and any fill needs to be compacted and compacted WELL.

However, if you must, you must. 4" is not too bad. Build a GOOD retaining wall, anchor it well, and compact the fill with a good compactor (at least a vibratory plate) in multiple lifts.

A full pool is a lot of weight, an it is not particulary rigid. If that slope gets wet, and moves a bit, the whole pool will begin to follow.

-dave

I would not use the dirt you dig up for refill. You should be able to get a pick-up load of "screenings" at a quarry. It is easily spread with a rake and very easy to compacy (it will not need much).

The dirt might work but it might cause you more headache than it is worth.

(Of course, without a pick up available, you might even consider a truck load if you have a place to dump it in your yard. I live on acreage and find I use "screenings" for several projects. Didn't mean to confuse the issue....this is really unrelated.)

Agree with Dave on using screenings or crush n run. Its very easily compacted with the plate compactor. You will be better off using it than dirt.

Crusher run is somewhat difficult to rake easily and make level.....much more so than screenings. Screenings are subject to wash from rainfall if they are exposed but this is going underneath a pool.

If you use more than about 2" thickness of either product, it would be good practice to create a small "retaining wall" out of whatever is handy and looks decent right at the edge of the pool where the substrate is exposed (albeit just slightly) to erosion.

The workabilty of "screenings' or "fines" gives it a big advantage over crusher run, IMO

When I was digging I hit some old sprinkler lines. I hacked them off since I no longer have the system connected. You will need to cap the pipes off or re-locate the sprinkler heads. Don't need to water under a pool!

Crusher run is somewhat difficult to rake easily and make level.....much more so than screenings. Screenings are subject to wash from rainfall if they are exposed but this is going underneath a pool.

If you use more than about 2" thickness of either product, it would be good practice to create a small "retaining wall" out of whatever is handy and looks decent right at the edge of the pool where the substrate is exposed (albeit just slightly) to erosion.

The workabilty of "screenings' or "fines" gives it a big advantage over crusher run, IMO

I agree - Crusher Run (also known as Quarry Process or QP depending on where you live) is the same as screening, except it has up to 3/4 stone in it as well. Screenings are more of the consistency of sharp sand. I love QP - if I am working with a machine (loader, dozer, etc). If I am working with hand tools, QP is a pain in the rear - use screening.

Both have a very flat proctor curve. A soil has a single moisture content where it will reach maximum compaction. Go above or below that and you can never compact it to 100% density. Some soils are very picky. Go 1 or 2 percent above or below the optimum moisture content and you will never reach more than an unsatisfactory compaction level. QP and crusher run are very forgiving, you can be pretty far above or below the optimum moisture and still hit 95% or more of the ultimate compaction.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.