Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small debris getting back into the pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Small debris getting back into the pool!

I have a small 16x48 ultra frame pool. When I am vacuuming, small debris shoots right back into the pool through the return hose on the side of the pool. I have made sure the filter cartridge is clean and even put in a new one. I ended up attaching the cloth bag they provide for the top of the vacuum to use if you are cleaning using the water hose attached. I put the cloth baggie over the return spout and it catches the debris. I have to stop half way through to clean the bag because it gets lined with teeny tiny debris and it doesn't allow water to flow. I thought to perhaps use a knee high stocking in hopes that it's more porous than the cloth, but I haven't tried it yet. This isn't the end of the world and the baggie works well, it just seems like I am working harder than I should have to! lol I have looked for similar issues but there aren't any that pertain to my situation....a lot of people talk about 'filter gauges' but my cheap little pool doesn't have that.....Any thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Small debris getting back into the pool!

Debris getting through the filter means something is broken. The most likely possibility is that there is a tear in the filter cartridge. It is also possible that something inside the filter is broken or there could be something wrong with the main valve that is allowing water to bypass the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A stocking definitely helps, much like putting one on the discharge of a washing machine.

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine does the same, even with a brand new filter. I haven't tried to remedy the problem, it doesn't bother me that much. But I like the idea of putting the bag over the return, I'm gonna try that next time I vac.
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame, 6,423gal, 1500gph Cartridge, SWG, Setup June 2013.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Debris getting through the filter means something is broken. The most likely possibility is that there is a tear in the filter cartridge. It is also possible that something inside the filter is broken or there could be something wrong with the main valve that is allowing water to bypass the filter.
    This is only my second year owning a pool, so bare with me....the filter having a tear, that's the filter cannister that I put in the skimmer, correct? I put a new one in last night and it still leaked the debris. When you say something being wrong with the main valve...what do you mean? My pool is pretty simple. It has the cannister filter that lightly snaps onto the bottom of the skimmer can and then under that is the pump....am I missing something in between?

6. Back To Top    #6

My opinion is it is a design flaw in the intex cartridge filter/pump combo systems. I don't think there is anything you can do to the filter to make it work better, other than replace it with a better quality pump and filter.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Vacuuming isn't the only time you are having an issue. If clearly visible debris is getting through, then so is everything else. So your filtration is meaningless, IMO.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

8. Back To Top    #8

Well pooey. I didn't even think about that. Looks like I will have to try and find something else to use. Thank you for all of your help!

9. Back To Top    #9

If it makes you feel any better, I'm super happy with my Intex sand filter for the price. If you get just the filter (not the combo unit I have) it's pretty cheap. I have found 1600 gph to be plenty for my 14' x 48". I like the combo filter/SWG but plenty of folks will disagree and argue that separates are better. <shrugs>

Next time I might upgrade, but I won't until this one dies.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

10. Back To Top    #10

I am online looking for one as we speak