Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small bubbles in a return line

1. Back To Top    #1

Small bubbles in a return line

I read a bunch of threads on this, and I'm pretty sure it might be my SWG, but I figure I'll ask anyway...

I notice, from time to time, not always, small bubbles coming out of the closest return line/jet, the one next to my polaris port. The other 3 are fine, no bubbles at all. I have no bubbles in the filter basket at all (solid water) either. When I open the filter basket and reseal, it takes about 15 minutes to clear out the air. Also, I show no signs of leaks above ground, and my water level only seems to drop a bit due to splash out and evaporation. I read that SWGs can introduce bubbles. Is it as easy as, shut the SWG off and see if they go away? Is it an instant affect on the bubbles?

I will say now, although I want to double check, that I can hear something, maybe a slight hiss, when I'm seeing the bubbles. But I would think that makes sense and isn't an indicator of another issue or real leak. At least I hope not. Pool is pretty much new and patio was literally just finished yesterday!

I'll also double check my strainer basket O ring and filter drain plugs tonight.

Thanks.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Small bubbles in a return line

The SWG produces bubbles any time the cell is active. If the bubbles only appear when the SWG is active then they are normal and nothing to worry about.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, I'll check that out. Would it make sense that I'd only see it in the one line though? The PB said to check weirs (fine), water level (mid skimmer, fine), filter pressure (fine - just backwashed last week, although he suggested doing it again), and the SWG.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, it is common for the bubbles to only come out of some of the returns.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jason. I'll check stuff out tonight (hopefully).

6. Back To Top    #6

Just took a quick look before heading to son's baseball game. No bubbles at all out of that return. Smooth as glass. Didn't check to see if SwG was running but I assume if I had another problem it would have still been happening. I'll check deeper tomorrow. So is it this inclination of SWGs to produce bubbles that results in the ph rise we see from their use?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, the bubbles cause aeration, which is where the PH rise comes from.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm pretty sure this was it. Checked the line a few times today, both times, no bubbles. Checked the panel, SWG was in its off part of the cycle.