Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dodged a bullet?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dodged a bullet?

So after using BBB for about 5 years and then granular stuff for a few years to avoid all those bleach bottles, we went to the local pool store and got talked into Bacquacil.

Haven't started it yet and became increasingly reluctant to do so after reading more about it on this forum.
    Decided last night to try to sell the Bacquacil stuff and stick with the bleach. I feel so much better .

Using the granular stuff has left us with a high CYA of about 100 so that will take some time to come down I guess. What level should I keep the FC at to deal with this?
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Dodged a bullet?

Do you have a good test kit?

If your CYA is 100 (most if not all tests are not accurate @ or above 100...it's likely higher). You need to drain off some of the water.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

Do not be tempted by the Dark Side! CYA ain't gonna magically come down on it's own. It is not consumed and does not evaporate. Partial drains are the only option. Welcome..........Back! Please tell me you have one of the recommended test kits from way back when?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Absolutely! I have a Taylor testing kit and I get my refills from Dave here.
    I figured I'd have to get rid of some water and refill. Just wasn't sure how high I should
    get the chlorine in the meantime.
    Yes, that dark side almost got me
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

5. Back To Top    #5

The CYA will not come down without a water change.. You'll have to use the pool calc to find out... but you'll need to drain and refill. CYA should be 30-40ppm if you are using liquid bleach/chlorine.
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

6. Back To Top    #6

Mix a cup of pool water with a cup of tap water and use it to do the CYA test. Read the result then double it to get a ballpark idea how high the CYA really could be. If you don't want to deal with liquid chlorine you may want to invest in an SWG.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes SWG was suggested by another (better) pool store manager. Problem is at about $650 to purchase, may not be worth it as we plan to live in this home for maybe another 3-4 years only.

8. Back To Top    #8

Your pool is small enough to use the intex SWG. They are less than $200 at most places and you can usually find them at lower prices on line. A lot of folks with permanent AGPs are using them.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I have read here that $2 per day for chlorine is typical. If you conservatively estimate 100 days per year that would be $800 in chlorine over 4 years. Get the SWG and you won't be sorry. Especially if the intex will work for you that's a no brainier.

TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

This sounds worth considering, although I don't have a clue about them. How are they hooked up to the pool for example? We are not too mechanically inclined!