Automation Benefits?

oramos

Jun 11, 2014
NY, NY
Hello, this is my first post but I have been reading for the last couple of weeks and have leaned quite a bit but am still confused as to whether I should install a pool automation system and what benefits it has.

My situation is that I have had a new inground pool built - no spa - but still using the old equipment, which consist of a pump, filter and heater. The pump is on a mechanical timer. The heater is connected to my home automation system with a simple on / off relay that does not measure temperature. I was planning on adding a water temperature gauge so I could have that info as well. I am thinking of adding a SWCG and have begun to wonder whether an automation system makes sense.

This is a summer home so the pool is maintained by a pool maintanance company that cleans it and deals with the chemicals so I am not sure I need something that automates the chemicals process.

So, my question is whether an automation system would be a good idea to add when i add the SWCG. Practically speaking the only thing I really want to control is the pool temperature.

Any views would be appreciated. Thx!!

Welcome to TFP!

There are two inter-related issues here. For what I think of as automation, there isn't really any call of adding an automation system to the pool with only a heater and SWG. However, for what I think of as remote monitoring, there is indeed some valve to having more information available remotely so you can keep track of what is happening even when you are not there.

For example, the heater has a thermostat, so it will maintain an appropriate temperature for you without an automaton system. But it won't tell you what a guest has set that temperature to when you aren't there.

Hope that helps. :)

I see no benefit of a monitoring system for the pool heat. Do you rent this house out? If you had a whole house monitoring system, I would think you could incorporate the heater into this to turn it on to heat the pool before you get there. The only thing is if the heater didn't fire or malfunctioned in some way, who would be there to see what's going on?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.