Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: how to keep swimming bugs out?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    11

    how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Hey yall,

    I have a question about those little swimming bugs, i think they are called back swimmers. After i had my pool up for about 2 days, these things showed up. I called leslie's and they advised me to shock, lower ph with muriatic acid, and use black algae killer. I did this (except I used hth algae guard 3x concentrate) and every bugs in the pool was dead. I vacuumed them up yesterday afternoon, and when I went check on the pool this morning. Surprise, they are back by the hundreds. Well, I have a formula for killing them, but how can i keep them out? My readings this morning are:

    Chlorine: around 4 to 5
    PH: around 7.5 to 7.6

    Any ideas?

    Thank you!!!

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Waldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Christmas, FL
    Posts
    189

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    I think someone said Borates will deter bugs as well. Last weekend we had a wasp invasion while we were swimming!
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

  3. Back To Top    #3

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,084

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    i think they are called back swimmers
    Got a pic? backswimmers usually don't appear "by the hundreds". Whatever they are, adequate chlorine will always keep them from my pool.

    What is your CYA so we can determine where your FC needs to be.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    11

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    No pic at the moment. They are really small and thin. Maybe those are the water boatman i read about. Not sure what CYA and FC is. sorry!

    Thanks again

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pelzer,South Carolina
    Posts
    30

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    do they look like a small ant that has wings? i have them in my pool and I am in South Carolina, we have been fogging before getting in pool and does seem to help you just have to scoop out the ones already there and that is usually 30-40! i will take a picture of what i have tonight and post. My water is so clear i hate to mess with water
    27' Swim n Play Mystic II 52" Extruded Resin 17,200 gallons
    Hayward E series high rate sand pump
    Hayward wide mouth skimmer
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Mod Squad zea3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,200

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Have a complete test run on the water and report the results here. Don't buy anything else until you hear back from us. We need to know FC (free chlorine) CC (combined chlorine) TA (total alkalinity) CYA (cyuranic acid, also called stabilizer or conditioner) and pH. If your pool is plaster we will need to know the calcium hardness (CH) as well.

    Once we know what all the test results are we can get a better idea of what is going on with the bugs.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    11

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Yes kind of like ants with two legs swimming. They are skinny and really small. My water looks perfect too. My pool is an Intex Vinyl ultra frame 22'. It is out in the yard at the moment so there's grass all around. I will try to get to Leslie's this weekend and get an analysis.

    Maybe I can spray the grass around the pool to keep bugs out. Not sure if they come from the ground or the air tho.

    Thanks for the suggestions!

  8. Back To Top    #8
    DeeMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Munster, IN
    Posts
    123

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Is this what they look like? These are the backswimmers. I get them occasionally, but never is swarms. backswimmers.jpg
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

  9. Back To Top    #9

    TFP Guide
    mrcarcrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Odessa, TX
    Posts
    973

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeMac View Post
    Is this what they look like? These are the backswimmers. I get them occasionally, but never is swarms. backswimmers.jpg
    That's a creepy looking little bugger.

    Quote Originally Posted by theblet View Post
    I will try to get to Leslie's this weekend and get an analysis.

    ...

    Thanks for the suggestions!
    Another suggesetion:
    You'll thank yourself many times over if you buy either the K2006 or TF100 from www.TFTestkits.net
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    west fargo
    Posts
    72

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    They suck here in North Dakota we get them to. They say they feed on alge not sure how true that is.

    20'x54" intex ultra Sand filter. with SWG Still work in progress will have Resin 24" fence around the top. Hooked to a 10x6 Deck that is attached to another 10'x6' Kids Club house. Slide from main deck into pool. Intex softwall lights. Kenwood Marine radio sealed in a deck box all Bluetooth controlled with Pyle 5" outdoor speakers.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,084

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    The pic DeeMac posted is a backswimmer. I have never seen them in swarms, either.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    west fargo
    Posts
    72

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Ya I don't think I have either but I have seen like 20 of them in the pool at once they could be boatman too they look a lot alike

    20'x54" intex ultra Sand filter. with SWG Still work in progress will have Resin 24" fence around the top. Hooked to a 10x6 Deck that is attached to another 10'x6' Kids Club house. Slide from main deck into pool. Intex softwall lights. Kenwood Marine radio sealed in a deck box all Bluetooth controlled with Pyle 5" outdoor speakers.

  13. Back To Top    #13

    TFP Guide

    laceygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canberra Australia
    Posts
    1,241

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Buying the TF100 test kit will change your summer.... If you read pool school here, you'll realise how useless Leslie's really is.... I get a couple of back swimmers in the pool too... But Chlorine should keep them out....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    11

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Ok guys I snapped a couple of shots of these things. There are quite a few dead this morning because I added chlorine and algae guard. Here you go:
    bugs1.jpg
    bugs2.jpg
    Also, i checked the PH and it was about 7.8 this morning, so i added some more muriatic acid to lower it too. It seems that the chlorine doesn't stay in the pool though. i have to keep added tons to my filter or feeder every day to keep up. otherwise i would have to shock it every 2 days and we wouldn't get to swim very often.

    Anyway, i have a recipe to kill them but i need to know how to keep them out. maybe one of those algaecides with copper in them.

    I will look at the guides and other test kits suggested as well. never thought having a pool would be this complicated!

    Thanks again!

  15. Back To Top    #15
    techguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Antelope, CA
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    I too have been there. The local pool store (LPS) is selling you false hope and the wrong stuff to solve your problem. I am going to say, you CYA is well over 100 and whatever you add, other than fresh water and bleach, is a waste of money.

    As you stated, you are using powdered and solid chlorine and with the chlorine comes a stabilizer required to keep the solid chlorine stable. It has a long name but we call it CYA. In the pool, the CYA both protects and weakens the FC. The FC, free chlorine, cleans the pool and kills the algae. CYA is good to a certain level, about 50 PPM, and when to gets above 80 PPM, your chlorine is protected to a point where is is not cleaning the pool.

    The issue is the LPS is not normally accurate in solving this issue. They don't test the CYA accurately and they feel a FC in the 1-3 range is perfect. This website is full of pool owners that test their own water with an accurate test kit and use liquid bleach type chlorine and a few other chemicals to keep their pool clean all summer for less money than the average trip to the LPS. It does require you read and understand the Pool School section AND a test kit AND you stop listening to the LPS.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    Posts
    508

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Quote Originally Posted by theblet View Post
    Ok guys I snapped a couple of shots of these things. There are quite a few dead this morning because I added chlorine and algae guard. Here you go:
    bugs1.jpg
    bugs2.jpg
    Also, i checked the PH and it was about 7.8 this morning, so i added some more muriatic acid to lower it too. It seems that the chlorine doesn't stay in the pool though. i have to keep added tons to my filter or feeder every day to keep up. otherwise i would have to shock it every 2 days and we wouldn't get to swim very often.

    Anyway, i have a recipe to kill them but i need to know how to keep them out. maybe one of those algaecides with copper in them.

    I will look at the guides and other test kits suggested as well. never thought having a pool would be this complicated!

    Thanks again!
    ewww.... maybe upgrade to the 2650 sandfilter or better yet a Hayward pump to get some serious suction going on along with a decent through wall skimmer like the Hayward Widemouth Dyna Skim to suck those buggers out.... i donno. I too have had the wasp invasions. I keep a skimmer net nearby when I swim and im good at netting 'em and drowning them on the bottom of the pool before tossing them over the side.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

  17. Back To Top    #17
    DeeMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Munster, IN
    Posts
    123

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Those look like the flying ants to me, not the backswimmers. The flying ants usually happen once a year when its mating season for them. I had swarms of them 2 years ago and took me awhile to get them all out of the pool.
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    11

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Quote Originally Posted by techguy View Post
    I too have been there. The local pool store (LPS) is selling you false hope and the wrong stuff to solve your problem. I am going to say, you CYA is well over 100 and whatever you add, other than fresh water and bleach, is a waste of money.

    As you stated, you are using powdered and solid chlorine and with the chlorine comes a stabilizer required to keep the solid chlorine stable. It has a long name but we call it CYA. In the pool, the CYA both protects and weakens the FC. The FC, free chlorine, cleans the pool and kills the algae. CYA is good to a certain level, about 50 PPM, and when to gets above 80 PPM, your chlorine is protected to a point where is is not cleaning the pool.

    The issue is the LPS is not normally accurate in solving this issue. They don't test the CYA accurately and they feel a FC in the 1-3 range is perfect. This website is full of pool owners that test their own water with an accurate test kit and use liquid bleach type chlorine and a few other chemicals to keep their pool clean all summer for less money than the average trip to the LPS. It does require you read and understand the Pool School section AND a test kit AND you stop listening to the LPS.
    Oh ok. So the chlorine tablets are a no go? Can you tell me more about what chlorine bleach to use? I will read the Pool School section soon. Thanks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeMac View Post
    Those look like the flying ants to me, not the backswimmers. The flying ants usually happen once a year when its mating season for them. I had swarms of them 2 years ago and took me awhile to get them all out of the pool.
    Sry for the bad pics. I dont think they are ants tho. The swim like the backswimmers. When i scoop them up with the net, they jump around like fish.

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    west fargo
    Posts
    72

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Maybe boatman they are like backswimmers. sounds like them.

    20'x54" intex ultra Sand filter. with SWG Still work in progress will have Resin 24" fence around the top. Hooked to a 10x6 Deck that is attached to another 10'x6' Kids Club house. Slide from main deck into pool. Intex softwall lights. Kenwood Marine radio sealed in a deck box all Bluetooth controlled with Pyle 5" outdoor speakers.

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    11

    Re: how to keep swimming bugs out?

    Can pick one of these up at walmart to test my CYA?

    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame AGP.
    ~10,000 gallons
    Vinyl pool with metal frame.
    Krystal Clear Cartridge filter pump, 2,500 gph.
    Installed 6-4-14 filled with city water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •