SLAMing for 2 days now, pool has a FC habit

justin_huffman

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Preface this with an issue i had last week regarding test kit quality. replaced kit from tftestkits.com
my pool since its opening this year has had a ferocious appetite for chlorine. 5-6 ppm a day. I know theres something in there but its crystal clear

Since opening 2 weeks ago Ive added 9 gallons 8.25% clorox. almost every morning the FC is 0. pool clear the whole time.

Saturday pool store test using tablets
FC 3
CYA 25
ph 7.6
TA 150
CH 150

Sunday using my refreshed tftestkit (clorox added since)

FC2.5
CYA 50
pH 7.0
TA 150
CH 150

I began SLAMing monday after work. based on the CYA/shock chart and my suspicion re: accurate CYA testing I selected CYA of 50 and went with a minimum shock of 21. Yes 1 ppm over the guide from chem geek.

I used 5 gallons 8.25 % clorox according to poolmath and measured the FC at 9 pm monday night and it was 29.5 (have smaller pool than I thought?)

Tues measured 7 am and down to FC 21. added 1 gal 8.25 went to work weather is cool and overcast 72 +/- degrees outside

came home for lunch and tested FC at 24.5

Added 1 gallon 8.25 at dinner and let it run til bed time. 10 pm FC 29.5

This am (Wed) got up 6 am tested FC at 26.5

So im still consuming a considerable amt of FC. Am i still on the right path? Ive battled this chlorine hungry pool for 2 years. Sick of it. Last summer I kept going cloudy > SHOCK > pass the OLCT > 3-4 days cloudy again.

really ready to drain, new liner and hopefully itll go away.

thanks tfp :)

So im still consuming a considerable amt of FC. Am i still on the right path? Ive battled this chlorine hungry pool for 2 years. Sick of it. Last summer I kept going cloudy > SHOCK > pass the OLCT > 3-4 days cloudy again.
Yes, you are on the right path. Keep SLAMing until you meet/pass three criteria to determine SLAM is done. See red lines in my sig.

In the past, it sounds like it might have been a maintenance issue. After the SLAM last summer, did you test and add recommended amount of chlorine each day?

Hi Butteryfly, yes last summer I believe that i maintained well. RE the red lines in your sig, Im 2 for 3. After re-reading my post, my consumption went from 5 +/- mon>tues to 3 tue>wed so overnight consumption is going down. I tested CC monday but have not tues or this am. It was 0.0 Mon night so I doubt anything has combined but will test mid day. I found a youtube vid I think you may have posted on how to accurately test the CYA. Ive beeen doing it exactly as in the vid and I continue adding to the tube until absolutely no black dot is visible. i was worried i was being too subjective on the relative dissappearence of the black dot.

Have you checked behind lights & ladders & scrubbed every nook and cranny?

After the SLAM is completed, we'll help you make sure the pool stays clean and sparkly. You need to figure out your pool's appetite for chlorine and make sure it has enough at all times. Easy Peasy.

yes... well theres no lightts and the ladder is on the deck :) ive scrubbed as best i can while standing on the top ring. dont think getting in the pool at FC26 or so is a good idea. speaking of appetites, thats something that i guess would be hard to determine without considering usage, but what is a typical consumption per 1000 gallons a day before anyone uses the pool?

Missed that post Dave, thank you.

Update - I SLAMd all week, finally thrs into friday morning i passed the OLCT and at 6 am Friday morning i was at
FC 20.5
CYA 50
TA 120
pH 7.4

This morning, i was shocked to take my readings and find 10 ppm loss in FC in 24 hours

FC 10.5
CYA 50
TA 120
pH 7.4

the weather here yesterday was low 80s partly sunny and humid. Had a banger of rainstorm for about 20 minutes in the afternoon.

I dont think this amount of FC loss can be attributed to sun burnoff. water is crystal clear. Im going to maintain a target FC of 7.5 based on my 50 CYA and the CYA chart. I came to that number with a minimum of 5.7 and 2.0 in reserve. we'll see how it holds up. thanks everyone.

thats good to hear butterfly thanks for your help :D I just finished a sub pad for my heat siphon, Ill snap a few of the surrounding area and tomorrow am when i pull the solar cover off ill get the clear water view thanks :D :D :D

- - - Updated - - -

still a little bit of construction mode, seems like its never done.

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 85

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:eek::eek: passed the OLCT every night since Friday until last night. Had 5.5fc and .5 CC at 7 pm and this am its down to .5 FC I cannot imagine what could be going on. The water is still quite clear. I can see debris starting to form on the bottom, grey in color. Could be dirt but I suspect some sort of algae. I dont understand how could pass the olct so many days in a row...

thats good to hear butterfly thanks for your help :D I just finished a sub pad for my heat siphon, Ill snap a few of the surrounding area and tomorrow am when i pull the solar cover off ill get the clear water view thanks :D :D :D

- - - Updated - - -

still a little bit of construction mode, seems like its never done.

You have a very nice set up there! :cool:

:eek::eek: passed the OLCT every night since Friday until last night. Had 5.5fc and .5 CC at 7 pm and this am its down to .5 FC I cannot imagine what could be going on. The water is still quite clear. I can see debris starting to form on the bottom, grey in color. Could be dirt but I suspect some sort of algae. I dont understand how could pass the olct so many days in a row...

Did you perhaps put the cover back on the pool?.....maybe with some algae on it?

butterfly - I used a solar cover 2 days during the SLAM. took it off friday morning.
@Casey thanks :D We love it, so much so the camper and the boat are STILL in storage for 2014. I doubt the boat will come out as "pool Sundays" are so relaxing and entertaining I feel guilty Monday morning lol.

because my FC bottomed out doesnt exactly mean i need to start the SLAM again does it? Im going to just keep the FC at 7.5 and hope for the best.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.