PH Not Lowering with MA

May 28, 2013
Washington, Il
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've used the pool calculator to estimate the amount of MA needed to lower ph from 8.0 to 7.2 (approximately 1/2 gallon). I added a full gallon of MA and my ph has hardly dropped anything noticeable. Using the tf100 test kit. Any suggestions? Got the MA from Lowes.

Odds are, you ended up with the half-strength low-fuming stuff. Study the label and look for the concentration. Enter the strength in the calculator.

Be sure you set the pool volume and the TA correctly, too, because if they went to the default settings, it won't work.

I would agree, the acid is likely not 31%, but without even seeing TA, a half gallon of MA won't do much in a pool that size starting from 8.0 pH. Whether it is strength or volume (or both) you are not getting enough acid in the pool yet.

Check the strength, double check the Pool Math cculations just to be sure. You can find full strength MA at local hardware stores usually. You might even find a local pool builder supplier willing to sell to the public. I found one, and the acid is $3.00 cheaper per gallon. Full 31.45% HCL (MA)

I've now used the correct amount based on strength and am still seeing only small results (not working out the way the calculator says it should). I suppose I just continue to add more muriatic? No adverse affects if I continue to equipment, etc. . . ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.