How to calculate water turnover time?

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
Here is the info from my pump. How do I figure out how many hours I need to turnover the water once? I had a timer installed this evening and I'm trying to decide how long I need to run my pump. I've read a lot on here and have ideas to start but have no clue how long it takes my pool to turn over the water. Can anyone explain how to figure this?

View attachment 30497

Thanks!

Turnover is at best a ballpark guide to a starting point for needed filtration level, it is not in itself a goal, just a tool to give you a starting point to tune from, and a questionable one at that.

Here is the info from my pump. How do I figure out how many hours I need to turnover the water once?
The short answer is you don't need to.

Pump run time is generally independent of turnover despite what you read on the internet. Read the article in my signature on pump run time and the article in Pool School. Most pools only need about 3-4 hours per day. That is what I do.

The short answer is you don't need to.

Pump run time is generally independent of turnover despite what you read on the internet. Read the article in my signature on pump run time and the article in Pool School. Most pools only need about 3-4 hours per day. That is what I do.

+1.... 4 hours seems to be the sweet spot for me too. My pool is 22'

I have been in this business for over thirty years. The people that have the least trouble with water clarity is usually the ones that turn their pump on and let it run. They also seem to have motors that last longer. Just my .02 worth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
30 years ago, FAU did a study on pump run time and wrote a report showing that 3-4 hours of run time is what most pools need (see my signature). But the days of unfettered energy use are gone. Like it or not, the industry is moving to reduced run time and lower flow rates. Many States are mandating VS or two speed pump WITH timers. Also, many on this forum, including myself, have found short run times just as effective as running 24/7 so I think this is going to be the future of pool ownership.

Plus I bet many of those pool owners you site were using trichlor pucks. With CYA build up, they probably would need more run time just to get enough chlorine in the pool to compensate for the excess CYA. It seems to me that most of the problems people seem to solve with run time are actually chemistry issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.