Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to calculate water turnover time?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to calculate water turnover time?

Here is the info from my pump. How do I figure out how many hours I need to turnover the water once? I had a timer installed this evening and I'm trying to decide how long I need to run my pump. I've read a lot on here and have ideas to start but have no clue how long it takes my pool to turn over the water. Can anyone explain how to figure this?

Attachment 30497

Thanks!
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to calculate water turnover time?

You'd need to measure head loss with vacuum gauges and compare it to charts to determine flow rate. Here's a simpler way: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I had read that link before I posted. I think I'm going to start at 8 hours and see what happens. I thought there was a formula to figure the turnover. Not sure where I read that.
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Turnover is at best a ballpark guide to a starting point for needed filtration level, it is not in itself a goal, just a tool to give you a starting point to tune from, and a questionable one at that.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

We just run ours 24/7, no problems, pump is on its 3rd season.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by xanadu View Post
    We just run ours 24/7, no problems, pump is on its 3rd season.
    Well that is certainly one way to waste money.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by brmommy View Post
    Here is the info from my pump. How do I figure out how many hours I need to turnover the water once?
    The short answer is you don't need to.

Pump run time is generally independent of turnover despite what you read on the internet. Read the article in my signature on pump run time and the article in Pool School. Most pools only need about 3-4 hours per day. That is what I do.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    The short answer is you don't need to.

Pump run time is generally independent of turnover despite what you read on the internet. Read the article in my signature on pump run time and the article in Pool School. Most pools only need about 3-4 hours per day. That is what I do.
    +1.... 4 hours seems to be the sweet spot for me too. My pool is 22'

9. Back To Top    #9

We see very little difference in our hydro bill when I compare the first summer only on 8 hours a day, and electricity is very cheap for us up here. So, not a waste to me.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I have been in this business for over thirty years. The people that have the least trouble with water clarity is usually the ones that turn their pump on and let it run. They also seem to have motors that last longer. Just my .02 worth.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

11. Back To Top    #11

30 years ago, FAU did a study on pump run time and wrote a report showing that 3-4 hours of run time is what most pools need (see my signature). But the days of unfettered energy use are gone. Like it or not, the industry is moving to reduced run time and lower flow rates. Many States are mandating VS or two speed pump WITH timers. Also, many on this forum, including myself, have found short run times just as effective as running 24/7 so I think this is going to be the future of pool ownership.

Plus I bet many of those pool owners you site were using trichlor pucks. With CYA build up, they probably would need more run time just to get enough chlorine in the pool to compensate for the excess CYA. It seems to me that most of the problems people seem to solve with run time are actually chemistry issues.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater