Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Copper looking stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Copper looking stains

I started getting these copper looking stains last year. It seems like I am starting to get more. I'm not sure exactly what they are or how to fix. I tried a vitamin c tablet on it but it didn't seem to take it off. I used a chlorine puck and it removed it. Any ideas of something to put in to take them off. Scrubbing would take forever as there are quite a few of them. Thanks for the help!

25,000 gallon Gunite in ground pool built in 2010. Hayward Tristar 1hp pump, Hayward Smartfilter 550 cartridge filter with 4 Pleatco PA-137 filters(replaced 2014), Nature 2 Fusion in ground(only used for when out of town now that I've switched to bleach), and a Polaris PB4-60Q booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Copper looking stains

Quote Originally Posted by Thump4863 View Post
    I started getting these copper looking stains last year. It seems like I am starting to get more. I'm not sure exactly what they are or how to fix. I tried a vitamin c tablet on it but it didn't seem to take it off. I used a chlorine puck and it removed it. Any ideas of something to put in to take them off. Scrubbing would take forever as there are quite a few of them. Thanks for the help!

I have the same stains, not as many though...I took a length of pvc, and put it over the spot and add Mauriac Acid down the pipe...which removed it. I wish I could cure the problem though...
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

3. Back To Top    #3

If they really are copper stains, which seems quite possible though far from certain, using sequestrant will keep them from returning.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Muratic acid would go a lot quicker than scrubbing out each one of them. It may not be copper they just look that color.
    25,000 gallon Gunite in ground pool built in 2010. Hayward Tristar 1hp pump, Hayward Smartfilter 550 cartridge filter with 4 Pleatco PA-137 filters(replaced 2014), Nature 2 Fusion in ground(only used for when out of town now that I've switched to bleach), and a Polaris PB4-60Q booster pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like stains from Fertilizer granuales. Rust from the iron in the fertilizer.
    Master KomodoKamado griller & beer maker!!
    12,000 gallon in-ground, pebble-tec, SWG pool w/spa

6. Back To Top    #6

There are the same type of stains on my concrete as well so you are probably right. Plus it is very windy here in Oklahoma.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok so I tried the PVC pipe with muriatic acid and it didn't do anything. I also bought some powdered shock since the trichlor tab seemed to work, but the shock when broadcasted on them didn't take it off. I left it on for a minute then brushed the area. I also retried the vitamin c and it still didn't work.

Thoughts on how to proceed?

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm interested in this as well as I have them as well only on the wall on 1 side and not the floor... wife threw down granular pesticide around pool pavers while I was out of town for 2 weeks..maybe Al Sulfate or something...??

9. Back To Top    #9

Most of mine are on the bottom of the sides where it curves to the floor. The only exception is there are some on my built in steps.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have about 6 of those same things, just won't go away...I also tried the PVC pipe...no luck...hope I can keep more from forming.

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

If it comes off with a trichlor puck, it's organic staining and elevated chlorine will gradually make them fade.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
    If it comes off with a trichlor puck, it's organic staining and elevated chlorine will gradually make them fade.
    Is that a 3" chlorine tablet, if so i tried that rubbing it

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG