Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ants in the pool ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Ants in the pool ??

Anyone ever experience ants in their pool ?

I had all these guys in there a couple weeks ago then located a tiny hole between deck & rock waterfall where they were crawling out & then falling into the pool
    & I guess trying to nest in the waterfall.

I sprayed that one spot with ant spray but now I'm seeing more in the pool today.

Could they be in the pipes of the waterfall ???

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator
    my build http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-north-Houston

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ants in the pool ??

Yup. Got the exact same thing right now. I figure it's just a hatch that won't last long. If I remember my entomology, winged ants are the potential future queens that get kicked out of the colony and have to go out to try to start their own colony. Although dramatic, swarming ants pose no harm or risk of increased ant infestation.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I have had that before. They come out of the ground like once a year for mating and then die. I just poured in a bit more bleach. All those in the pool gave me the heebie jeebies !
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

We had those winged ants taking a swim this past weekend. It took a while to net all of them out. I saw only a few floating around today.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

5. Back To Top    #5

I have LOTS of the exact same winged ants too. at least 100 a day if not more. Most of them get sucked in the skimmer. I have no idea where they are coming from.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok

I feel a little better now

Thanks

23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator

7. Back To Top    #7

They can get pretty heavy in the summer after a lot of rain. Doesn't usually last more than a few days at a time.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

That makes sense then
    The last time was after heavy rain & we did have some heavy rain again this past Monday & some last night

9. Back To Top    #9

Been raining here in AL and we get them. I call them flying ants and the darn things sting too! Been battling them as long as I can remember. But they come and go. Ants also love 2 things, water and rocks. Put a little cornmeal out, away from the pool. My Terminix person swears by it.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    Been raining here in AL and we get them. I call them flying ants and the darn things sting too! Been battling them as long as I can remember. But they come and go. Ants also love 2 things, water and rocks. Put a little cornmeal out, away from the pool. My Terminix person swears by it.
    Thanks !! I'll try that ....