Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! - Pool over chlorinated

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP!!! - Pool over chlorinated

Hi folks, I need some guidance. I asked my lovely wife to buy Chlorox bleach because it has been so many days and my FC is still 0. I have been doing the chlorine test using the TFT100 kit since I filled up the pool with water. I have the SWG running every night. It has been in the 90s and 100s since I finished filling up the pool and running the pump filter and SWG. So I am thinking that the sun is really eating up all the chlorine generated by the SWG. And hence, I am thinking of using the bleach to up my FC level.

Now here's the issue. My wife bought a 121 oz jug of Chlorox from HD during lunch time. And she didn't wait for me to get home and emptied all the contents into the pool. I used the pool calculator and based on that with an 18' x 48" pool, we should have just used 1/3 of the jug. So what do I do now? Just let the level go down on its own? And if so, how long will that take? She has planned a pool party with our 9yr old daughter and friends this Thursday because school is out.
    Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame Round Pool - AG, Intex Krystal Clear Model 28633EG 2500 Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG #28663EG, TFT100 Test Kit, Hayward Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP!!! - Pool over chlorinated

It shouldn't be a big deal. I come up with a total FC of about 11 added. If you have no CYA, FC is probably already down to 9 already. If you have more than 30 CYA, it's safe to swim in the pool now.

If you've added salt and added CYA and the SWG is running, you should have enough FC to not need supplemental bleach. The fact that it ran down to zero is a huge red flag. Either something isn't working right or something is eating the chlorine. A set of test results and a summary of what you've added and how long ago will help figure out what's going on. Don't wait until a problem becomes noticeable by murky water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Assuming a pool volume of about 7,600 gallons, 121 oz of 8.25 % bleach would raise the fc to about 11. As long as you have at least 30 ppm cya, that's ok to swim. If the cya is less than 30, the fc will drop quite a bit by tomorrow night. If the cyanuric acid level is less than 30, I would recommend raising it.

4. Back To Top    #4

What is your CYA level? Sounds like you need to SLAM anyway. If your SWG can't keep up you may have a latent algae bloom.

Assuming 7600 gallons, and 8.25% bleach, 121 oz would increase FC to 11. If your CYA is over 20 you didn't even make it to shock level.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by norwei View Post
    Hi folks, I need some guidance. I asked my lovely wife to buy Chlorox bleach because it has been so many days and my FC is still 0. I have been doing the chlorine test using the TFT100 kit since I filled up the pool with water. I have the SWG running every night. It has been in the 90s and 100s since I finished filling up the pool and running the pump filter and SWG. So I am thinking that the sun is really eating up all the chlorine generated by the SWG. And hence, I am thinking of using the bleach to up my FC level.

Now here's the issue. My wife bought a 121 oz jug of Chlorox from HD during lunch time. And she didn't wait for me to get home and emptied all the contents into the pool. I used the pool calculator and based on that with an 18' x 48" pool, we should have just used 1/3 of the jug. So what do I do now? Just let the level go down on its own? And if so, how long will that take? She has planned a pool party with our 9yr old daughter and friends this Thursday because school is out.
    Y'all beat me to it!
    Last edited by tucsontico; 06-10-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Replaced text
    19,500 gal, 16' x 38' PebbleTec IG Pool, Built 4/2013; Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050 3 HP Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntellipH, Pentair 520 sq ft/150 GPM Cartridge Filter, A&A In-Floor Cleaner, Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot (aka "Robbie"), Pentair EasyTouch Power Panel w/ Quick Touch 4 Remote Control, Autelis WiFi controller, Clear 12 mil Solar Cover on Presto SS Reel, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    If you've added salt and added CYA and the SWG is running, you should have enough FC to not need supplemental bleach. The fact that it ran down to zero is a huge red flag. Either something isn't working right or something is eating the chlorine. A set of test results and a summary of what you've added and how long ago will help figure out what's going on. Don't wait until a problem becomes noticeable by murky water.
    Since completing the pool last Friday, the only things I have added are salt and CYA prior to today. I started running the SWG over the weekend at night but during the day we hit the 90s and 100s. I only started adding CYA yesterday using the sock/pantyhose over the skimmer because I completed the Hayward skimmer installation on Sunday afternoon.
    Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame Round Pool - AG, Intex Krystal Clear Model 28633EG 2500 Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG #28663EG, TFT100 Test Kit, Hayward Skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Norwei! You have chosen the best place to get information and help to take care of your pool. The moderators on this site can and will help you with just about any problem you can perceive! Please take the time and effort to get them the proper information so they can help you. A complete set of testing results is imperative so they can understand your situation. The most important test result right off the bat is your CYA level. If you are adding things without giving us water test results you could be creating problems. Please make sure you are taking accurate tests, read and understand pool school and post your tests each time you post. You can't imagine how much this will help our experts help you! Welcome to TFP!
    16,000 gallon Oval Vinyl Liner Pool (new liner 2014)
    Custom built in 1999 to be half in-ground and half out (sloped yard) vermiculite bottom, laser sighted to Florida Room and Deck
    Purex Triton Model cc100 Cartridge Filter, 100 gpm flow rate, Penfair 1HP Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

got it, I will start posting the test results

9. Back To Top    #9

got it, I will start posting the test results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I'm sure the crew will appreciate it. I just briefly scrolled through your posts..... you built your own pool? That's fantastic! Post some pics when you can.
    If you can do that you should have no trouble grasping the TFP method. Again.....welcome!
    Custom built in 1999 to be half in-ground and half out (sloped yard) vermiculite bottom, laser sighted to Florida Room and Deck
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

joegus, I didn't build the pool. It's an intex 18x48 round pool I bought during the memorial weekend.

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry, I misunderstood when you said "I finished the pool" and I saw some other posts on buying stuff. Regardless, you should have no problem getting it going and having a great party for your daughter.
    TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Since completing the pool last Friday, the only things I have added are salt and CYA prior to today. I started running the SWG over the weekend at night but during the day we hit the 90s and 100s. I only started adding CYA yesterday using the sock/pantyhose over the skimmer because I completed the Hayward skimmer installation on Sunday afternoon.
    In that case, I would expect the CYA to be too low and the SWG struggling to keep up. Crisis averted.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Richard320, thanks for the reassurance. So last question is should I hold off on running the SWG until my CYA is up to 70-80 and FC is lower to 4-6?

14. Back To Top    #14

Richard320, thanks for the reassurance. So last question is should I hold off on running the SWG until my CYA is up to 70-80 and FC is lower to 4-6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't. Until the CYA level builds up, you'll be losing FC at an alarming rate, way faster than the SWG can produce it. All that bleach your wife dumped in will likely be gone by this time tomorrow and you'll be playing catch-up again. And with a party coming, you want the FC level to be 3 or 4 higher than the usual level anyway.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks!!!

16. Back To Top    #16

How much CYA did you add? A pool that size and using a SWG I would assume you would want atleast 3lbs to start that might get you to 50ppm.

CYA can take a full week to show up on test. And it will drop your PH big time!

Make sure your PH is right before you swim! BORAX if needed!
    15'x4' Metal Frame Intex 3yo (2nd year winterized) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, Thru wall skimmer, dual inlet/single outlet, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks mrmacdad12. I will take a test tomorrow morning. But just to let you know, I bought a 4lb jug of CYA from home depot. Should i use all of that because with an SWG, my target CYA is 70-80?

18. Back To Top    #18

I used the pool math calculator and it says from 0 to 80, I need 69 oz by weight. So I converted that into lbs and it came out to be 4.3125 lbs. So, I will use all the 4 lbs and I should be good to go.

19. Back To Top    #19

Do not add that all at once. Start with 2 pounds and then test and adjust from there. Trust me! I added the 5 pounds that PoolMath said to add and it was WAY too much. I had to drain half the pool and refill it two times....
    21' Round Ovation Impact, 54" wall. Hayward AquaTrol SWCG, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S180T sand filter, Aqualuminator with fountain attachment, Taylor K2006C test kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks for the advice firefighter75..much appreciated..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast