DE Filter Grids, Air bubbles in return, low suction from skimmer questions

JB426

Jul 23, 2008
Here's my pool info:
Small in-ground gunite pool about 7,850 gallons
Pump is Anthony AR205-L
Pump motor is 1 HP, 1.25 Service Factor, Amps 12.6/6.3
Anthony Apollo DE filter VA-52-2 52 sq. ft.
Anthony pool heater
Zodiac Caretaker unit

OK guys, here's the deal.
I'm getting very low skimmer suction when I run it on Filter and it is not filtering like is should. If I change the multi-port to backwash or rinse the skimmer suction is normal. I'm also getting bubbles in the return line and very low, if any, flow out of one of the returns. There are only 2 returns. If I hold my hand over the one return that flows well a lot of air bubbles come out of the other return. I've replaced the pump basket lid o-ring, can't seem to see any leaks from the pump drain plugs. There are 2 Jandy valves right before the pump, one for the skimmer and one for the main. I lubed the o-rings inside both of these and don't see any leaks there either. I just manually cleaned the filter grids by following the instructions posted here by Waste. I thought maybe the grids were not flowing well and causing some of these problems. After reassembling everything, there has been no change. I used 8 scoops of DE. The pool setup also has a Caretaker unit, which has all the little returns in the floor of the pool. These do not really work anymore and didn't when we moved in. I can hear air and water, kind of like siphoning, from this for a few seconds when the pump is turned off. I have not taken this apart yet. The pump does not lose prime but I will have to bleed air out of the filter each time the pump is turned on. Sorry my PSI gauge is not working right now so I don't have PSI readings.

OK some questions that hopefully some of you guys with all the knowledge will be able to help me with.

1. Would replacing the filter grids entirely help with the low suction? Maybe these are beyond cleaning and just do not allow the water to flow through well enough. I have no idea how long these have been in there. They did seem to hold water in for a bit when I took them out of the soaking tub when I was cleaning them.

2. Would this air getting in the system have to be from a suction side leak? The only think above ground before the pump is the Jandy valves mentioned and about a foot of 2 inch PVC. Could the air be getting in after the pump, the air and siphoning sound I'm hearing, then get pushed back out the returns when the pump is turned back on? There are no water leaks that I can see when the pump is on.

I hope I've given enough info on this. Thanks for the help.

The pressure gauge is crucial to diagnosing pump and filter problems. It sounds like two problems, but without the pressure readings, it's all guesswork. Gauges are cheap and have standard pipe threads. You should be able to find something locally. It's not much harder than changing a light bulb.

Yeah, and I just replaced it but get no pressure reading at all. It was like $5 so I figured it was just defective. I know there has to be some pressure in there. When I bleed off the air the water will start squirting out just like it did back when everything was working normally. I'll see if I can find one locally and get it replaced. Thanks and definitely offer up any ideas, as you all know this stuff can get frustrating.

OK just replaced the gauge. I'm getting about 2.5-3 PSI after bleeding out the air. Stays the same with main and skimmer open or just one or the other. The skimmer also flows very well by itself but pretty low when main is open. I would think if the grids were plugged a little it would show higher pressure right? I did replace the pump motor last year with one that was identical to the one that was on it. Checked the pump impeller at that time and it seemed fine. Maybe the pump itself?

Assuming there's no massive air bubble in the pump basket which would indicate an air leak, I'd start looking at a clogged impeller. It's fairly easy to do if you vacuum pine needles - they can slip right through the basket and wrap around the impeller. Since you know how to separate the pump and motor already, it should be a pretty quick check.

OK I will check that. This is how the situation was before I replaced the pump motor and I remember reading the impeller could be clogged. It wasn't then but maybe it is now. We do have a bunch of pine trees around and pine needles are a pain so maybe they worked into the impeller like you mentioned. Thanks.

Thinking ahead, if I have to replace the pump should I go with a 3/4 HP or stick with a 1 HP? I was thinking if it comes down to this I would go with the Pentair Superflo. I know it would be beneficial to go with a 2 speed pump but I really don't want to spend the extra money and we only have the pool open for about 4 months a year so the benefit would not be as significant. The Anthony pump that's on there now has probably been there for at least 20 years. I should have probably replaced it last year instead of just the motor since replacing the motor did not solve anything.

The impeller was not clogged. I've now noticed there is DE in the pool from when I manually cleaned and added new DE. There does not seem to be enough pressure in the filter, it's right at 2.5. I guess a lot of the DE did not stick to the grids and went into the pool. Should I just replace the pump or would I still be chasing the problem? I can't find any suction leaks at all. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.