Plugging Tips for Skimmer - New Pump Arrived

norwei

May 22, 2014
Brentwood, CA
Hi Everyone, I bought a new pump filter and now I need to figure out a way how to stop water from flowing out of the skimmer when I unplug the hose that I clamped on to it. Do you have any tips on how I can do this? I did a search here and I saw a reference to aquadoor but that's going to cost me at least $22 in Amazon. And once I have this plugging challenge figured out, I will attach a ball valve to it before I reattach the hose to the pump so in the future I don't have to deal with this again.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Everyone, I bought a new pump filter and now I need to figure out a way how to stop water from flowing out of the skimmer when I unplug the hose that I clamped on to it. Do you have any tips on how I can do this? I did a search here and I saw a reference to aquadoor but that's going to cost me at least $22 in Amazon. And once I have this plugging challenge figured out, I will attach a ball valve to it before I reattach the hose to the pump so in the future I don't have to deal with this again.

Thanks for your help.

I assume you have the Hayward skimmer installed?

If so I would buy a 1.5" ball valve and the fittings to have 1.5" male threads on one end to screw into the skimmer and 1.5" female threads on the other end to screw the Hayward fitting into to attach the hose. I would get this whole assembly together and ready to screw in place then maybe try removing the skimmer basket and blocking/plugging under where the basket goes with a T shirt or towel. This will not stop the water...but should slow it enough for you to remove your hose unscrew the Hayward fitting and screw on your ball valve assembly with the valve shut. I would not think you would loose more than a gallon or two in the process.

ETA...you might go to your local walmart or home improvement store and buy one of those rubber sink stoppers. I don't mean the kind that fit down in a hole...these are about 3" in diameter and flat. They are designed to cover the entire sink drain assembly. I bet that placed over the hole going out the bottom of the skimmer from the inside would slow the water loss to just a drip at best.

Yup ball valves are the way to shut the water off... I was lucky enough to find 2" Hayward Ball valves for just under $6 each from Amazon... :) I grabbed 5 of them...lol.... I plan on putting them on every suction and return hose... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lots of good suggestions here...I like the idea of the pool ball with a napkin under it. I can also see a large carrot or cucumber working in a pinch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.