Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plugging Tips for Skimmer - New Pump Arrived

1. Back To Top    #1

Plugging Tips for Skimmer - New Pump Arrived

Hi Everyone, I bought a new pump filter and now I need to figure out a way how to stop water from flowing out of the skimmer when I unplug the hose that I clamped on to it. Do you have any tips on how I can do this? I did a search here and I saw a reference to aquadoor but that's going to cost me at least $22 in Amazon. And once I have this plugging challenge figured out, I will attach a ball valve to it before I reattach the hose to the pump so in the future I don't have to deal with this again.

Thanks for your help.
    Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame Round Pool - AG, Intex Krystal Clear Model 28633EG 2500 Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG #28663EG, TFT100 Test Kit, Hayward Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plugging Tips for Skimmer - New Pump Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by norwei View Post
    Hi Everyone, I bought a new pump filter and now I need to figure out a way how to stop water from flowing out of the skimmer when I unplug the hose that I clamped on to it. Do you have any tips on how I can do this? I did a search here and I saw a reference to aquadoor but that's going to cost me at least $22 in Amazon. And once I have this plugging challenge figured out, I will attach a ball valve to it before I reattach the hose to the pump so in the future I don't have to deal with this again.

Thanks for your help.
    I assume you have the Hayward skimmer installed?

If so I would buy a 1.5" ball valve and the fittings to have 1.5" male threads on one end to screw into the skimmer and 1.5" female threads on the other end to screw the Hayward fitting into to attach the hose. I would get this whole assembly together and ready to screw in place then maybe try removing the skimmer basket and blocking/plugging under where the basket goes with a T shirt or towel. This will not stop the water...but should slow it enough for you to remove your hose unscrew the Hayward fitting and screw on your ball valve assembly with the valve shut. I would not think you would loose more than a gallon or two in the process.

ETA...you might go to your local walmart or home improvement store and buy one of those rubber sink stoppers. I don't mean the kind that fit down in a hole...these are about 3" in diameter and flat. They are designed to cover the entire sink drain assembly. I bet that placed over the hole going out the bottom of the skimmer from the inside would slow the water loss to just a drip at best.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 X 48" AG (6,420 Gallons), Intex 16" .95HP Sand Filter SWG System (2650 GPH), Hayward thru wall Skimmer, Hard plumbed with fountain, Taylor K-2006/SpeedStir/SampleSizer

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the help duckcmmndr. And yes, I have the Hayward skimmer.
    Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame Round Pool - AG, Intex Krystal Clear Model 28633EG 2500 Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG #28663EG, TFT100 Test Kit, Hayward Skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Check the ETA...I added above...it was after you posted your reply.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 X 48" AG (6,420 Gallons), Intex 16" .95HP Sand Filter SWG System (2650 GPH), Hayward thru wall Skimmer, Hard plumbed with fountain, Taylor K-2006/SpeedStir/SampleSizer

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Yup ball valves are the way to shut the water off... I was lucky enough to find 2" Hayward Ball valves for just under $6 each from Amazon... I grabbed 5 of them...lol.... I plan on putting them on every suction and return hose...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duckcmmndr View Post
    Check the ETA...I added above...it was after you posted your reply.
    Thanks duckcmmndr. I just got home and I have a major issue with chlorine level. But I will start a new thread since it's unrelated to this topic.

7. Back To Top    #7

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Yup ball valves are the way to shut the water off... I was lucky enough to find 2" Hayward Ball valves for just under $6 each from Amazon... I grabbed 5 of them...lol.... I plan on putting them on every suction and return hose...
    Just remember to have both suctions opened when your pump is running.

8. Back To Top    #8

A carrot has been recommended more than once

18'x48" Intex Ultra-Frame (Grey), Intex 2150gph Sand Filter (#28647EG), Intex Krystal Clear SWCG (#54601EG), Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim, Intex LED Light.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by b15nut View Post
    A carrot has been recommended more than once
    That's genius

10. Back To Top    #10

I use an old chunk of inner tube so the sink thing that duckcmdr suggested will work. I have also heard tennis balls will work, don't know tho I haven't tried.

27' AG, sand filter, Pentair 340203 Two-Speed 3/4-Horsepower, hard plumbed

11. Back To Top    #11

Your pool store should have rubber plugs with a wing nut on the top. You'll need a #9 size. Plug the hole and tighten the wing nut until the hole is sealed...
    21' Round Ovation Impact, 54" wall. Hayward AquaTrol SWCG, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S180T sand filter, Aqualuminator with fountain attachment, Taylor K2006C test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter75 View Post
    Your pool store should have rubber plugs with a wing nut on the top. You'll need a #9 size.
    I will go to leslie's to look for this plug. Thanks firefighter. I hope it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Another type of "ball valve" that sometimes works is a cue ball. Set it in the skimmer drain and it will seal it up pretty well. If it still leaks a bit, put a paper towel under it first.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Water balloons work well too.
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

15. Back To Top    #15

Lots of good suggestions here...I like the idea of the pool ball with a napkin under it. I can also see a large carrot or cucumber working in a pinch.

16. Back To Top    #16

The #9 plug shouldn't cost more than $3.00.
    21' Round Ovation Impact, 54" wall. Hayward AquaTrol SWCG, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S180T sand filter, Aqualuminator with fountain attachment, Taylor K2006C test kit