Noob IntelliFlo VS Install Question

waldrondigital

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2014
Simi Valley, CA
First off, let me say thank thank thank you for TFP. I've owned a pool (bought a new house) for exactly 3 weeks and have learned a wealth of information from this website. The Pool Calculator is invaluable as are all the great people and threads here.... I've learned a ton.

I'm coming from a Jandy RS6 system with a Stealth 2 pump and have ordered an IQ900-RS kit to upgrade the panel to iAqualink so I can get a variable speed pump installed eventually. While I'm comfortable with doing the IQ900-RS myself, I had a really dumb plumbing question about replacing the Jandy Stealth 2 with the IF VS. I'm going to have a very handy friend help me, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get as much information before I start cutting pipe.

Capture.jpg

Am I correct in I cut the pipes at the red arrows, then put a "joiner" piece between these Intelliflo unions and the existing pipe?

Sorry for the idiot-grade question, but hey I'm new to all this pool stuff. Any tips, tricks or caveats feel free to chime in.

You are certainly on the right track. However you may need to cut a few inches to the right of there. The space looks fairly tight and you need enough room for everything to fit in. Also, I believe that the IntelliFlo is a little larger than what you have there now.

In any case, if you cut the pipe as close to the pump as you can, you can always cut it back further later.

Okay, obviously I won't be cutting anything until I compare the old pump placement to the new. So I use a sleeve piece to cross connect the existing cut pipe to the new unions, right? Are all these pumps sort-of standard in terms of pipe height, etc? Or is there a chance the IF VS connection at the right in the above picture be higher or lower?

The pipe might well be a bit higher or lower.

With an IntelliFlo you normally screw a short piece of threaded CPVC into the pump, rather than using unions. Then you use a dual female slip fitting (probably what you mean by a sleeve) to connect that to the existing pipe. Or you can put in a union at that point instead of the glued fitting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.