I can't get rid of the algae!

Jun 10, 2014
Gainesville, GA
Please help...
I have been trying to clear my pool since and April and have spent a small fortune without any luck. My pool has gone from dark green to a medium green with cloudiness but no matter what I do, I can't clear out all the algae and the water won't hold chlorine. Over the course of last week I put 38 lbs of shock in the pool and now have the total chlorine up to 5.0ppm but still 0 free available chlorine.
Can anyone make a suggestion of what I can do to kill the algae? Thank you!

Pool info:
28,000gallon vinyl liner pool with sand filter
FAC:0
TAC:5.0
PH:6.0
TA:0
CYA:40
TDS:1100

Welcome to TFP!

When you say "38 lbs of shock", what specific chemical/product has you been using?

Your PH and TA are way way too low. You need to get PH and TA up into the normal range before you continue.

Where are your test results coming from, a pool store, or some specific kind of test kit?

The shock used was calcium hypochlorite (73%), specifically, Leslie's Power Powder Plus.

The water has been balanced and PH and TA were within normal range in the last few weeks. Levels are diminishing quickly and are difficult to maintain.

These results were from my local pool store.

Have you raked all debris out of the pool? If there are things down in there, it takes a lot of chlorine to turn them into liquids!

Is this how the pool opened from winter? How was it closed?

I just found this site today. Not sure what test kit you are referring to. Will this kit clear my water?? Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, we have raked the bottom numerous times. Not much down there but of course I can't see the bottom. I have brushed and brushed and not much surfaces. We didn't really close the pool... Hate to say we just sort of neglected it this winter!

Will this kit clear my water??
No, but what it will do is give you accurate and dependable results so we can determine what you need to do to your pool to make it crystal clear.

You'll need our help at first to interpret the results but the goal is to teach you what all this stuff means so you can be independent from the pool store and successfully manage your own pool water.

Read all the testimonials on here and, if you are re4ady to give it a try, start by ordering a kit and, importantly, begin to read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Ask lot's of questions and we'll all help.

Having reliable test results from a high quality test kit is the first step in diagnosing your problem, with that we can suggest a plan of action, which will also require testing as you go to maintain proper levels and get your pool cleared up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.