Patience!

I don't know what (if anything) that proves either. Might just prove that your bleach is good ;)

It's a shame nobody hands out "sample size" packets of sequestrant in the pool stores. I'm still thinking it's worth getting a fresh bucket-full of water and pouring a bit of "recommended sequestrant" in to see what that does, but I'm probably in the minority there... and a non-expert at that.

Well I was thinking if the water turned clear it was algae. But it turned yellow. So does that mean its algae and copper? Isn't it copper that makes your water turn yellow? Or maybe it was yellow from the bleach.
I will probably try some sequestrant but my closest pool store is about an hour away and they don't carry any of the brands recommended by this site :(

"If I wasn't on a well I would just drain and refill. But I'm scared pull that much water out of my well at one time. When we filled it, we had the water trucked in. But that cost $500 and the water looked like it had been sucked out of a lake lol. "

From an earlier post. My neighbors well went dry last summer. No city water here. He wound up having to drill very very deep to get water. I believe he said he spent around $8000 before he got water.

We are still using our pool every day. There were 7 people in it today. It doesn't seem to bother the kids at all. But it is rather embarrassing.

So, 2 years and a month later........I gave up on the pool. We have been using it and maintaining it as if it were not green. It acts like a clear pool. Feels like a clear pool. But it's not clear.
20160715_172538_001.jpg

All my test look normal. I lose about 2 ppm fc a day. I have had 4 pool stores test my water and they all say " looks good". None of them found any metals.
Being on a well I do not want to drain and refill. But in the last two years we have replaced a good amount of water and that hasn't made any difference.
It really does not look as bad in person as it does in the picture. I can see the floor clearly. You can clearly see a dime on the floor. It's just green.

Last year we shocked for the entire summer. From opening day til closing day. And it made no difference.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm game to try. But otherwise we are just enjoying our green pool. LOL

My sister in law had a white bath tub and the water looked like yours (where your steps are white and water is yellow). Didn't seem to hurt the kids any and they bathed in it every night. Do you have a local college/university that might be able to test the water or perhaps the city/county would?

Just finished reading this whole thread and my stomach is still churning with stress. I was hoping you had found a solution :(

I gotta say, the fact that your bucket test (green --> yellow) had such a dramatic effect on a small scale makes me think that super-super-super chlorinating might have some benefit? Like above even mustard shock level? I know you'd be risking damage to your <insert expensive pool equipment here>, but maybe it would be worth the risk?

I'm sure no one here will condone this, but before I found TFP I was dealing with a swamp in my back yard.. On the pool store's advice I dumped in 10 gallons of 12.5%, and when it was all used up, I did it again. Then another 5 gallons. I calculate now that it put me around 60 FC both times (and this was without stabilizer). With a pool your size, I think that would be equivalent to about 13 gallons of 6%.

Like I said, I doubt anybody here will condone this, and I am pretty new to TFP, but it worked for me and didn't cause me any damage that I'm aware of.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
20160719_163304.jpg
Here's a better picture with more light.
The steps are more beige than white.
I have had my well water checked and it is great. No metals at all. Actually our water is supposed to be some of the best in the country. They said it was better than most bottled water.
I have tried really high fc levels. My wife took care of the pool for a while. And she told me she was using the calculator on this site, but the fc was always to high. Turns out she was calculating for 6% and using 10%.
The bucket test turned the water from green to yellow. But in a blue pool---yellow + blue= green. right?
I can't believe you read all that lol. I was really stressed for the longest time. But then one day as I was watching the kids play in the pool, I realized the color was only bothering me. lol So we just overlook it and enjoy the pool. The only time it bothers us is when company comes over and asks about it.

Our swg died quite a while ago and we have just been using liquid chlorine. I have not tested my salt levels but I would imagine it's pretty low by now. I have not tried a paper towel but I do know that it does nothing to white bikinis and towels. I do not think a paper towel would live 2 seconds in my skimmer lol.

Wow.... I just read this entire thread, first time I have seen a situation that was not fixable..... Kinda scary. Hope to see a happy ending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were in your shoes I would continue with more bucket tests. I'd dump large amounts of every crazy chemical I could think of into separate buckets of pool water until I found something that worked. Then if/when I found something, I'd repeat the test until I found the minimum dose required to clear a 5 gallon bucket, then scale that up to a 13500 gallon pool.

I know the green water isn't hurting anything but your pride, but MAN it would drive me nuts not to be able to solve the mystery.

20160720_102006_001.jpg
That bucket test was over 2 years ago. Here's what a bucket of water looks like now.
You can see in the step pics that you have to be about 3 feet deep before you really see the color. That's why I keep posting step pics. Also remember the steps are beige not white.
I tried taking pics of the wall so you could see how far down it is before the color shows up. But all I got was a reflection off the top of the water lol.

This thread puzzles me. I wish somebody would come in here with a notion that miraculously worked! Until then I would just tell visitors I filled it with lake water because it's more natural. They would probably never even give it a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I skimmed through this thread so I apologize if this has been answered previously but I was wondering if you've ever tried using a polyaluminum chloride (PAC) floc? Or a polymeric clarifier?

There are instances where very fine suspended solids (smaller than what your filter can take out) can cause yellow water. I admit this is a stretch because usually these types of unfiltered fine solids problems show up in pools with sand filters but I was just throwing it out there.

A very weird batch of water indeed.

No I have never used either. My understanding is that a flocculant just clumps dead algae up. To speed up removal. If I'm understanding it correctly--if you have a weak filter or pump or are inpatient you can use a flocculant to clump the dead algae together and then vacuum it to waste. I can not vacuum to waste. And I have a heck of a pump and great filtration. So If my understanding is correct then this would not help me. Am I wrong??

No I have never used either. My understanding is that a flocculant just clumps dead algae up. To speed up removal. If I'm understanding it correctly--if you have a weak filter or pump or are inpatient you can use a flocculant to clump the dead algae together and then vacuum it to waste. I can not vacuum to waste. And I have a heck of a pump and great filtration. So If my understanding is correct then this would not help me. Am I wrong??

Close, but not quite right. Floc is not just for algae or the impatient ;)

So a "floc" is a general term for a chemical compound that causes coagulation to occur (it's a bit more complicated than that but that simple definition will work). When fine matter is suspended in water, be it really small particles, dead algae, whatever, the surface of those particulates is generally negatively charged (think of it like static electricity, again a simple analogy but one that works). All of the particles are negatively charged and so they all repel one another. This is what keeps certain types of fine particulates suspended in water - static charge plus random collisions with molecules (Brownian motion). You can see this in water if you take a big scoop of soil, mix it with a few cups of water and then let it settle. All of the big particles and sand will immediately sink to the bottom, but the water will stay brown and murky for days and never really clear up. That's all of the suspended solid matter in the water. You can run it through a coffee filter, but even then, not all of the suspended matter will be filtered out.

What is a "floc"? A floc is a chemical compound that adds a polyvalent ion to the water. In the case of alum floc, the polyvalent ion is Al3+. The polyvalent aluminum can come from aluminum trichloride (AlCl3), aluminum sulfate (Al2(SO4)3), or other aluminum type compounds. There are other flocs based on iron and other polyvalent metals, but adding iron to pool water is a bad idea.

So what does a floc do? The floc'ing chemical basically neutralizes the negative surface charge on the particles in suspension in the water. When the negative charge is removed, the particulates can start to coagulate into larger particulates which, when they reach a sufficient size, they will begin to sink to the bottom of the water column. Sometimes a floc requires an additional coagulating agent (usually a long changed polymer with charged end member groups) to help the particles "stick" together more, but many times the floc'ing agent itself is enough to cause the suspended solids to fall out of solution.

The term "floc" actually refers not to the chemical coagulant, but to the layer of fine sediment that is formed when the coagulated particulates settle at the bottom of the pool. It is that floc that you then vacuum (typically to waste) up and remove. You can vacuum a floc through the filter, but it is generally not the best way to remove a floc as it will cause the filter to load up and need cleaning. So flocculation is best practiced only when you have a "vacuum to waste" option.

So, for your water, I am wondering if you could obtain some floc and attempt to do a bucket test to see if anything settles out. From your previous pictures it looks like a standard white bucket doesn't give you much cloudiness and you only see the truly yellow nature of the water when you submerge your stairs. Even so, if you add the floc, you might see a darker layer of sediment form on the bottom of the bucket. Even if the test fails, it will tell us that we are not dealing with particulates causing your water coloration. If that is the case, then there is just some kind of chemical in your pool water (perhaps a very dilute, odd metal salt, such as manganese, that the testing was not done for) that is causing the coloration and chlorine will not remove it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.