Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Patience!

1. Back To Top    #1

Patience!

I am to tired to try and come up with a good excuse for letting my pool get this bad. So I'll just be honest and admit I was lazy The cover ripped over the winter and I just never managed to get out in the cold and work on it. So now it is a swamp.

Last week:
    FC-0
    PH-8.0
    CYA-0
    TA-110
    BORATES-10

Three days ago:
    cya raised to 55
    ph lowered to 7.6
    So I began shocking. My wife and I have taking turns testing and adding bleach 24 hours a day. Yes 24 hours a day. (I got stuck with the night shift lol). Our shock level is 17. We have been testing every hour, eventually 2 hours. I have had to clean my filter more times than i can count. We scooped and vac'd everything out before starting.

My problem: 3 days and 37 gallons of 6% later it does not look any better at all. Pic is from today! Am I missing something? Any ideas? I'm wondering if it would be easier and cheaper to just drain and refill pool.

Thanks,
    Ron

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Patience!

Love the picture, can't wait to see it transform.

A couple things: organic debris will slow you down tremendously. You need to physically remove as much as you can with the vacuum, or a leaf rake or a leaf grabber. Second, shock level is 22 for 55 CYA.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Drain-or-gain
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-green-monster!
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...hat-my-problem
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Shock level for a CYA of 55 should be 24 ppm not 17 (I was rounding up to 60 ppm cya)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

"We scooped and vac'd everything out before starting."
    If you like that pic you should have saw they pile of stinking rotting **** we scooped out. We were hauling it away in wheelbarrow loads.

Hmm pool calc says "Shock:17 Mustard Algae Shock:32"

5. Back To Top    #5

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

Shock level for a CYA of 60 is 24 Mustard Algae shock level is 35

For the more detailed chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rine-CYA-Chart
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

6. Back To Top    #6

Oops.

poolmath says 22 FC for 55 CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

Shock level for a CYA of 60 is 24 Mustard Algae shock level is 35

For the more detailed chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rine-CYA-Chart

Ike

p.s. also you should use the pool math link at the top of this page, pool calculator has a number of bugs and is no longer being updated

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok Thanks guys. Pool Calculator shortcut replaced with POOLMATH shortcut. And I'm off to add more bleach.
    Sharkline Matrix 15' x 30' x 54" Oval, Pentair Clean & Clear 150 sq. ft. Cartridge Filter, 1-1/2 HP OptiFlo Dual speed Pump, TF-100 test kit, borates

9. Back To Top    #9

You may have started out with ammonia in that swamp and that would have taken a whole lot of chlorine to get rid of before the chlorine can even start on the algae.

What is your fc and cc like now? How much are you going losing between tests?
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

We are checking every 3 hours now. It's dropping 3 every 3 hours. Last test Fc 14 cc 3 tc 17.

I really thought I knew a lot about pools until this little experience. My filter got to the point where cleaning wouldn't drop the pressure back down, so I had to buy new filters. A few days ago the pump wouldn't start. Just hummed. Had to replace the capacitor. And today when we turned the pump off to clean filters it did the same thing. Capacitor is good this time though. I can spin the motor easily. So I have just been spinning the motor while hitting the power switch to get it going.
    Sharkline Matrix 15' x 30' x 54" Oval, Pentair Clean & Clear 150 sq. ft. Cartridge Filter, 1-1/2 HP OptiFlo Dual speed Pump, TF-100 test kit, borates

11. Back To Top    #11

I think...hope...maybe...I have seen my first sign of progress. The pool looks the same but when I cleaned the filter it wasn't bright green it was more grayish black. Also I only had to clean the filter twice today. Previously I was cleaning it every 2-3 hours.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Ron69 View Post
    I think...hope...maybe...I have seen my first sign of progress. The pool looks the same but when I cleaned the filter it wasn't bright green it was more grayish black. Also I only had to clean the filter twice today. Previously I was cleaning it every 2-3 hours.
    Yep, that sounds like real progress
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

After 4 days now of SLAMing.

14. Back To Top    #14

Compare this to the photo from yesterday and you can see some progress, just hang in there, and keep your FC up where it belongs

15. Back To Top    #15

It kinda looks like green jello.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

16. Back To Top    #16

WOW, I guess I'm surprised your only losing 3 fc every 3 hours with that big green mess. What is your fc target that you aim for when you add chlorine?
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

17. Back To Top    #17

It doesn't smell like green Jello!

It really doesn't make sense to me. I would think that the fc loss would steadily decline until it held steady. At the same time the cc would steadily rise. And my filter cleanings would slowly get less frequent.

But it hasn't worked that way at all. The fc loss is declining but not consistently. It might drop 3 one time then 6 the next, and then three again. And the cc is bouncing around from 1 to 4.5. And the filter cleanings ....at first I was cleaning filters every 20 minutes, it slowly got better until yesterday and then suddenly I'm only having to clean them twice a day. I really don't understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

o yeah poolmath says shock is fc22 the chart says 24 so I.m doing fc-23

18. Back To Top    #18

Nothing like starting your morning by sticking your hand down in the green water in your skimmer basket and finding 5 dead frogs I'm awake now! lol

19. Back To Top    #19

5 dead frogs = better than a cup of coffee! Keep after it.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

20. Back To Top    #20

Day 5 45 gallons of bleach used.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast