CYA Help

mrwerk

Jan 22, 2013
Hi TFP people...

Don't post much but read, research and listen to all advice.

I couldn't find much on what I need to know so......

I need to raise my CYA from 20 to 80. As per calculator, I have to add 10lbs. I was going to take a trip to Lowe's but realized I have trichlor pucks someone gave me. Can I use them instead?

Thanks
Kelley

PS Chem geek, I have a small crush on you.....I am the wife this is my hubby's acct. ;)

Trichlor adds CYA very slowly. It would take 23 lbs of trichlor to raise the CYA by 60. The whole process would take roughly three weeks if you used the trichlor primarily for chlorine during that period. If you have that kind of time and remember to constantly raise the PH while using trichlor doing so is possible, but I don't recommend it.

Trichlor adds CYA very slowly. It would take 23 lbs of trichlor to raise the CYA by 60. The whole process would take roughly three weeks if you used the trichlor primarily for chlorine during that period. If you have that kind of time and remember to constantly raise the PH while using trichlor doing so is possible, but I don't recommend it.

Thanks, Jason.

I guess I will turn on my deck jets and the kids waterfall to raise pH...??

PS I have a crush on your and Birdman too......

If you are OK with taking notes and playing with Pool Math, you could add powdered stabilizer to one point then switch to tabs to get to the final destination. Kinda tricky, takes awhile. So much better to just add exactly what you need and be done with it.

It is going to take more than aeration to keep up with the rate at which trichlor lowers PH. The best thing to use is soda ash/washing soda. That balances the PH and TA increases required fairly well.

It is going to take more than aeration to keep up with the rate at which trichlor lowers PH. The best thing to use is soda ash/washing soda. That balances the PH and TA increases required fairly well.

I went out and the CYA at my pool store. Surprisingly, it costs less than my Lowe's and Home Depot.

Using straight CYA, do I still need to use soda ash for lowering the pH or can I just use the jets and waterfall??

Thanks a bunch!!!
Kelley

I went out and the CYA at my pool store. Surprisingly, it costs less than my Lowe's and Home Depot.

Using straight CYA, do I still need to use soda ash for lowering the pH or can I just use the jets and waterfall??

Thanks a bunch!!!
Kelley
No. CYA will have only a tiny affect on pH. In your reading, you have heard of the sock method, correct?

You need to knead it. If you just let it hang it takes days for it to dissolve. If you go in there and squeeze the bag for a while a couple times a day it came be all in the pool that day or next depending on how long you play with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PS Chem geek, I have a small crush on you.....I am the wife this is my hubby's acct. ;)

Thanks, Jason.

PS I have a crush on your and Birdman too......
Intelligence is sexy, or at least that's what my wife tells me. :sunny: Personally, I think it's being smart enough to know that doing what she tells me to do because she loves me helps her life be easier, and appreciating what she does for me is pretty smart as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.