Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Help

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Help

Hi TFP people...

Don't post much but read, research and listen to all advice.

I couldn't find much on what I need to know so......

I need to raise my CYA from 20 to 80. As per calculator, I have to add 10lbs. I was going to take a trip to Lowe's but realized I have trichlor pucks someone gave me. Can I use them instead?

Thanks
    Kelley

PS Chem geek, I have a small crush on you.....I am the wife this is my hubby's acct.
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

18x38 25K gallon vinyl, Hayward DE filter, Intelliflo VS pump, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair EZ Touch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Help

Trichlor adds CYA very slowly. It would take 23 lbs of trichlor to raise the CYA by 60. The whole process would take roughly three weeks if you used the trichlor primarily for chlorine during that period. If you have that kind of time and remember to constantly raise the PH while using trichlor doing so is possible, but I don't recommend it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Trichlor adds CYA very slowly. It would take 23 lbs of trichlor to raise the CYA by 60. The whole process would take roughly three weeks if you used the trichlor primarily for chlorine during that period. If you have that kind of time and remember to constantly raise the PH while using trichlor doing so is possible, but I don't recommend it.
    Thanks, Jason.

I guess I will turn on my deck jets and the kids waterfall to raise pH...??

PS I have a crush on your and Birdman too......
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

18x38 25K gallon vinyl, Hayward DE filter, Intelliflo VS pump, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair EZ Touch control system

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are OK with taking notes and playing with Pool Math, you could add powdered stabilizer to one point then switch to tabs to get to the final destination. Kinda tricky, takes awhile. So much better to just add exactly what you need and be done with it.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is going to take more than aeration to keep up with the rate at which trichlor lowers PH. The best thing to use is soda ash/washing soda. That balances the PH and TA increases required fairly well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    It is going to take more than aeration to keep up with the rate at which trichlor lowers PH. The best thing to use is soda ash/washing soda. That balances the PH and TA increases required fairly well.
    I went out and the CYA at my pool store. Surprisingly, it costs less than my Lowe's and Home Depot.

Using straight CYA, do I still need to use soda ash for lowering the pH or can I just use the jets and waterfall??

Thanks a bunch!!!
    Kelley
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mrwerk View Post
    I went out and the CYA at my pool store. Surprisingly, it costs less than my Lowe's and Home Depot.

Using straight CYA, do I still need to use soda ash for lowering the pH or can I just use the jets and waterfall??

Thanks a bunch!!!
    Kelley
    No. CYA will have only a tiny affect on pH. In your reading, you have heard of the sock method, correct?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    No. CYA will have only a tiny affect on pH. In your reading, you have heard of the sock method, correct?
    Yes. Put it in a sock and let it hang in the skimmer...... right???

How many days of doing the sock method can I expect it to dissolve?

Kelley
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

It seems to depend on brand. I've seen reports from five hours to five days.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

You need to knead it. If you just let it hang it takes days for it to dissolve. If you go in there and squeeze the bag for a while a couple times a day it came be all in the pool that day or next depending on how long you play with it.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

PS Chem geek, I have a small crush on you.....I am the wife this is my hubby's acct.
    Thanks, Jason.

PS I have a crush on your and Birdman too......
    Intelligence is sexy, or at least that's what my wife tells me. Personally, I think it's being smart enough to know that doing what she tells me to do because she loves me helps her life be easier, and appreciating what she does for me is pretty smart as well.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"