Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with chlorine types

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with chlorine types

Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

can "granular chlorine" (sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione) be used in the system either as a substitute for dichlor or bleach? what would be the disadvantage? I am draining my hot tub now (has been a headache for the first 6 months, found this site and am hopeful), and have granular chlorine at home (spa store sold it to me) but no dichlor. also, if I really need dichlor, is their an "everyday" store that i could get it tonight? ie walmart, lowes, etc. . .

thanks
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Quote Originally Posted by port 13
    can "granular chlorine" (sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione) be used in the system either as a substitute for dichlor or bleach? what would be the disadvantage? I am draining my hot tub now (has been a headache for the first 6 months, found this site and am hopeful), and have granular chlorine at home (spa store sold it to me) but no dichlor. also, if I really need dichlor, is their an "everyday" store that i could get it tonight? ie walmart, lowes, etc. . .

thanks
    Good news. That's Dichlor you've got there.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    Good news. That's Dichlor you've got there.

will the satisfy the CYA requirement too?
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, dichlor will add CYA to your water. The amount required to get to 20-30ppm will depend on the volume of your spa. Or you can watch your FC levels as described in this thread.