Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with high TA in spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with high TA in spa

Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

Is it okay if I measured the pH , CH and TA while water was cold? About 50F? Or should I heat the water to about 100F and then measure again?
    What I got now is:
    pH - 7.8
    CH - 30
    TA - 420.
    So now I just concentrate on TA. I need to lower pH to 7.0 using muriatic acid purchased from Home Depot and then aerate till it get to pH 7.8 . Check TA again and use poolcalculator to check how much muriatic acid I need to add right now.
    Do you suggest to check the pH level after 1 hour of aerating?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Cold is fine. It will take longer for aeration to raise the pH, but the procedure will still work. Yes, you should get your TA lowered at least somewhat or else you'll be fighting rising pH. 1 hour of aerating should be plenty, but you can just check after 30 minutes to see how much the pH is risen. It should rise pretty fast given your high TA. It will rise more slowly when the TA gets lower. It also rises most quickly when the pH is low (i.e. at 7.0 that you will initially lower).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it okay to lower pH as soon as it rises to about 7.4? Or it's better to wait til it go to about 7.8?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

4. Back To Top    #4

It goes faster if you keep the pH lower so as soon as you see it rise you lower it. The rate of carbon dioxide outgassing is faster at lower pH. You can see this effect by seeing how much over-carbonation there is of carbon dioxide in water vs. air at various TA and pH levels in this chart.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay. I will stay by the tub all afternoon to lower the TA
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub