Way Off Topic - Air Duct cleaning - helpful or a rip off?

I have been in my house for about a year and it seems that I have more dust than I should. I lived for many years in a humid environment with radiator heat and no ducts, so maybe this is just how it is. I think it may show up more quickly in this house because I have solid surface flooring - no carpet. But it seems that i have more dust than I should. So I was thinking maybe the ducts need to be cleaned? I have never had it done and am not sure if it is something that helps or if it is just a ripoff. Anyone?

I've had my ducts cleaned because I own a 1950's house with terrible duct work. Ducts do not need to be cleaned very often, however, I have severe asthma and allergies (dust and pollen) and couldn't get control of my asthma, so I opted to clean mine this year. The company took photos and they found some unsealed duct work in my crawl space that was causing the extra dust. Also, some of my duct work" wasn't made from duct material, but was 2X4s and sheet rock... yeah pretty bad. After the cleaning, I had as much of the duct work sealed using mastic and I've seen a considerable decrease in dust.

I also own the Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier (model #AP51030K). It is the best rated air purifier per consumer reports. It is the quietest and filters the most volume of any other air purifier I have owned.

Based on my readings the 1" thick filters are intended to protect the HVAC equipment more than they are to clean the air. Clever marketing has changed public opinion on that, but as far as the manufacturers of the HVAC equipment, they are to protect the equipment. I agree with kcindc that every so many years a cleaning is more than "snake oil". Ever seen the dust inside of your ducts? My house is old...our ducts are nasty. It's on the list of things to do.

Generally snake oil, IMO. Had ours done after I realized that the gerbil cage had been there in front of the AC return for a long time and dust was going up there.

The guy was incapable of making the first turn in the vents (maybe he was not too bright) because he was running the suction as he pushed forward so sucked into the first wall and was unable to go on. (A wiser man would have turned power off, run forward, then suctioned going backwards) No debris to speak of in the vacuum when he was done. A waste of something like $150 as I recall.

Filter, filter, filter. I run a large block style Aprilair hepa on our hvac and change it twice a year. Standard slim filters change monthly with the highest flirtation rate you can afford. Ducts should only need to be cleaned if mold has been found or after a fire. Most commercial hvac units are done quarterly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.