Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Way Off Topic - Air Duct cleaning - helpful or a rip off?

1. Back To Top    #1

Way Off Topic - Air Duct cleaning - helpful or a rip off?

I have been in my house for about a year and it seems that I have more dust than I should. I lived for many years in a humid environment with radiator heat and no ducts, so maybe this is just how it is. I think it may show up more quickly in this house because I have solid surface flooring - no carpet. But it seems that i have more dust than I should. So I was thinking maybe the ducts need to be cleaned? I have never had it done and am not sure if it is something that helps or if it is just a ripoff. Anyone?
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Way Off Topic - Air Duct cleaning - helpful or a rip off?

I just replace my air filters every couple of months. The whole air duct cleaning is a bunch of "snake oil" (if you will). By just replacing the filters and buying a better quality filter you will significantly reduce the dust you are seeing.
    15k Gal, Mt. Lake, Vinyl IG Pool.
    Built 2013/2014. 1.5 HP Jandy Pump
    Jandy SFTM25 Sand Filter.
    Taylor TF-100 kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I do replace the filter every month and invest in the good ones. I have a kid with asthma so I don't skimp on that. Maybe it is just a combination of things that make it seem more dusty than it should be. Thanks!
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

4. Back To Top    #4

We replace our filters every month with the cheapest filter we can find. I give a light spray of citrus oil which makes the house small great, and really collects the dust.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I've had my ducts cleaned because I own a 1950's house with terrible duct work. Ducts do not need to be cleaned very often, however, I have severe asthma and allergies (dust and pollen) and couldn't get control of my asthma, so I opted to clean mine this year. The company took photos and they found some unsealed duct work in my crawl space that was causing the extra dust. Also, some of my duct work" wasn't made from duct material, but was 2X4s and sheet rock... yeah pretty bad. After the cleaning, I had as much of the duct work sealed using mastic and I've seen a considerable decrease in dust.

I also own the Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier (model #AP51030K). It is the best rated air purifier per consumer reports. It is the quietest and filters the most volume of any other air purifier I have owned.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Based on my readings the 1" thick filters are intended to protect the HVAC equipment more than they are to clean the air. Clever marketing has changed public opinion on that, but as far as the manufacturers of the HVAC equipment, they are to protect the equipment. I agree with kcindc that every so many years a cleaning is more than "snake oil". Ever seen the dust inside of your ducts? My house is old...our ducts are nasty. It's on the list of things to do.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

7. Back To Top    #7

Generally snake oil, IMO. Had ours done after I realized that the gerbil cage had been there in front of the AC return for a long time and dust was going up there.

The guy was incapable of making the first turn in the vents (maybe he was not too bright) because he was running the suction as he pushed forward so sucked into the first wall and was unable to go on. (A wiser man would have turned power off, run forward, then suctioned going backwards) No debris to speak of in the vacuum when he was done. A waste of something like $150 as I recall.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Filter, filter, filter. I run a large block style Aprilair hepa on our hvac and change it twice a year. Standard slim filters change monthly with the highest flirtation rate you can afford. Ducts should only need to be cleaned if mold has been found or after a fire. Most commercial hvac units are done quarterly.
    18x36 IGVL 36,000 gallons 10.5' on the dive, 1 hp Hayward self priming super pump, 300 lbs sand filter w/ Hayward Vari-Flo valve