New pool owner old pool

Apr 18, 2014
Granbury Texas
Thank you for this forum and all that post. This site and its contributors have really compiled a wealth of information. I appreciate every word of wisdom here.

Bought house in January 2014
New pool ower of older pool (no experience with pools)
Pool is about 8.5ft at the main drain, 3.5ft just off the stairs (removed the diving for not wanting liability)

Started with a small bucket of tablets and a cheap test kit
Now working the BBB and own (as of yesterday) a TF100

no major crises yet, minor oops's though
  • mis-tested TA and consequently added a ton of Baking Soda
  • Contructed makeshift aerator (to drop TA after above noted BS dose) out of side pressure hose which blew over and consequently drained my pool about 3 inches below skimmer opening
  • minor algae as temps started rising

I am posting in hopes for some advice on getting my pool balanced

Here are my numbers: Looks like FC needs to come up, slightly concerned about CH (but pool math says i am balanced at CSI)
(i tested with K1000 just as a cross reference as i am learning)
(Note: when i did the FC test the water never turned clear, just a cloudy white.)

June 9, 2014 8PM (sample taken just after pump turned off)
FC 3
CC 1
K1000 chl 3
CYA 30
PH 7.5
TA 70/80
CH 825

June 10 630AM (sample taken pump has not run for 10.5hrs
OCLT 2.5
K1000 chl 2
PH 7.2/7.5

Fill Hose (testing fill water)
June 10, 2014 700AM
FC 1
CC 1
K1000 chl .5 or lower
CYA 0
PH 8.2 or up
TA 440
CH 50

Here are two pictures of my pool (one for view and the other showing existing staining in the deep end (for reference the main drain is high left center of picure)
Pool 1.JPGpool staining.JPG

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The pump needs to run at least 30 minutes before you test, so that morning test is pretty meaningless.

Given the signs of algae and the high CC ... you should likely follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

Your CH is certainly going to be a problem unless you keep your pH in the low 7s.

any thoughts on the staining?
Yes....ignore them completely until you get your algae and sanitation under control with the SLAM process. Don't try to accomplish everything at once.

The SLAMming may or may not reduce the staining but to successfully accomplish two different processes simultaneously isn't worth the confusion and often fails.

Get that water crystal clear through the SLAM, then successfully pass the OCLT and it will be time to work on the stains.

Just finished SLAM

14-Jun
600am
FC 17
CC 0
OCLT Passed

15-Jun
600am
FC 17
CC 0
OCLT Passed

Will let FC level drop to normal range and then perform full test.

Question?

My CYA level has measured 40/50, which i think is acceptable (but also removed all pucks from my routine to get on top of it).
With a CYA at that level my operating mid FC level is 4-6.
Can i trust the OTO, assuming i make sure it is maxed out, as my daily check? or do i have to run the FAS dailly?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.