Want a wide mouth skimmer

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I have a wide mouth skimmer and I've had a regular skimmer box and I'll tell you that the wide mouth is not all that much greater than the regular one and it's a BEAR to get a good seal on it! If I could sway you between one or the other, I would tell you to get the regular skimmer just because it's so hard to keep it from leaking around the gaskets when installed (so not worth the headache!!!). I ended up having to use 2 butterfly gaskets and just diagnosed with a vey angry case of shoulder tendonitis because of that wide mouth skimmer back in April. :shock:

So, it's up to you. I bought my wide mouth from Poolsupplyworld.com.

Wide mouth Hayward Skimmer on my intex. NO leaking issues at all. It came with the "butterfly" type gasket. I sliced it in half and put one half on the inside of the pool, the other on the outside. Here's a pic:

attachment.php

Wide mouth Hayward Skimmer on my intex. NO leaking issues at all. It came with the "butterfly" type gasket. I sliced it in half and put one half on the inside of the pool, the other on the outside.

Why cut the butterfly gasket? Did you install without dropping water level below where you planned to install it, or for some other reason? Just curious.

Why cut the butterfly gasket? Did you install without dropping water level below where you planned to install it, or for some other reason? Just curious.

I did not drop the water level down, that was one of the reasons i cut the butterfly gasket in half. I mounted the entire skimmer by just puncturing holes in the liner for the screws. Tightened everything down and then I cut the large opening in the liner with a razor. I have done a few skimmers this way and never had any issues or leaks, so i figured i would just keeping doing it the same way. Also, i always feel more comfortable leaving a slight overlap of liner between the 2 gaskets. If using it as a butterfly, the cut needs to be pretty precise.

Casey, that is something I didn't consider... good point. I thought about the wide mouth too but went with the regular. Granted, mine is only 14' diameter round pool, but it always clears the surface really quickly.

I had a regular one on my 24ft and now this wide mouth. I don't notice a big difference at all between the 2 other than one gave me so much trouble over the other. lol

I have a steel walled pool and can't cut the butterfly gasket. Even if I could have, it was hard getting it to stop leaking and I still have a little drip on the one corner that I am so done with! I searched the forum for any threads and came up with some that had the same issue. The wide mouths are over rated in my opinion and I feel I can say that after owning both a regular skimmer and a wide mouth skimmer box. :goodjob:

I have a steel walled pool and can't cut the butterfly gasket. Even if I could have, it was hard getting it to stop leaking and I still have a little drip on the one corner that I am so done with! I searched the forum for any threads and came up with some that had the same issue. The wide mouths are over rated in my opinion and I feel I can say that after owning both a regular skimmer and a wide mouth skimmer box. :goodjob:

i agree that there is no real benefit to the Wide Mouth that i can tell. My old pool had the regular skimmer that worked great and now I have the wide mouth that seems to work just as good. I think I went with the Wide Mouth last year because i'm into the "latest and greatest" things and figured I would be missing out if I went with the standard skimmer... HAHAHA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I went with the Wide Mouth last year because i'm into the "latest and greatest" things and figured I would be missing out if I went with the standard skimmer... HAHAHA

Joke is on us! :crazy:

My wide mouth is a WaterWay from Pool Supply World. It was what came with the pool.

You guys mentioned, and I have heard of this before of cutting the gasket. No where in the instructions does it talk about this - Unfortunately, the picture above is not showing. Are you talking about the gasket that is sort of shaped like a V if you opened it up, you are slicing on the bottom of the "v" and making two gaskets?

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Jon

You don't have to cut the gasket at all... You use the faceplate as your guide and cut the liner that way, install the gasket, then install the skimmer as instructions tell you too..... Its only if you don't want to lower the water level that it helps to cut the gasket.... I received my Hayward skimmer this morning, and the one thing I noticed about the gasket is, it has a squarish edge to it.... Cutting that exactly in half would be difficult..... :)

You guys mentioned, and I have heard of this before of cutting the gasket. No where in the instructions does it talk about this - Unfortunately, the picture above is not showing. Are you talking about the gasket that is sort of shaped like a V if you opened it up, you are slicing on the bottom of the "v" and making two gaskets?

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Jon

That's exactly right and it's what I did. No leaks and water level did not need to be lowered. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.