Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safety pool cover replacement cost - Holy cow!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Safety pool cover replacement cost - Holy cow!!!!

Hi, I have a custom shaped pool 18x33 at the widest/farthest. The original cover is shot(15 years old) and I need a new one. It was a Merlin Solid cover. I just got a quote from the dealer that the previous owner bought it from and it was $4,520.00 before taxes... I plan on checking with other Merlin dealers...

Since the anchors are already installed in the concrete(and I have the metal straps), can I go with a different pool cover brand. I can give measurements for the cover? I actually have a sketch of the pool without the measurements.

I just think $4,520.00 is crazy, oh and that includes a pool closing(which I do myself anyway) - lol

thanks,
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl liner
    Hayward S244T sand filter
    Hayward super-pump 1.5 Horse
    Hayward Aquarite SWG
    Pool construction 1999

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safety pool cover replacement cost - Holy cow!!!!

With a good drawing of your pool or even better yet the locations of the anchors, I'd think you could buy a quality cover online for less than $2K. I bought a Loop-Loc for my 20X36 grecian for ~$1200 8 years ago.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply, does anyone have any companies that they would recommend?
    Thanks,
    brian
    25,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl liner
    Hayward S244T sand filter
    Hayward super-pump 1.5 Horse
    Hayward Aquarite SWG
    Pool construction 1999

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by brianmac View Post
    Thanks for the reply, does anyone have any companies that they would recommend?
    Thanks,
    brian
    I got my Loop-Loc from Poolcenter.com
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes definitely too much money. I got my HPI mesh cover from pools.com last year for my 16x32 rectangular pool with custom wall anchoring and all hardware for $1100.
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

6. Back To Top    #6

There are so many different levels of quality....I can't even begin to understand what deal is fair or not. My HIGH END customer mesh cover was $2300. So I think you are being over charged...and I think mine is way better than Merlin.

This is what I have...hopefully this does not violate any rules

http://www.raynercovering.com/pool-c...sh-pool-covers
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover