Leak at pool light? (I hope, sort of)

BeckyL

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Ugh, I am so tired of losing water in my pool!

History: We purchased the house a year + ago, so last summer was our first summer with a pool. It was losing water all summer. This spring we determined that it was probably the liner and we replaced it. It stopped leaking all together! Since April 15, I have not had to add any water at all to the pool. What was lost to evaporation (1/8" per day at max) was given back in a thunderstorm. I have been vigilant in watching the water level in fear of a leak. It's been a nice couple of months. (Not to mention how EASY it is to maintain the crystal clear water with the TFPC method!)

However... during the liner install, the light stopped working. We removed the fixture on Saturday and found that the cable was too short, and barely reached the deck. I did pull on it to see if I could get more cable, not violently, but I did pull. We replaced the bulb and tested it, and it worked fine. I had trouble putting the fixture back on. The fixture wasn't centered on the metal plate when I lined up the screw. I had noticed this before, too. It would not lay flat onto the plate either, it gaps out about 1/8" at the bottom.

Now the pool loses water again. I lost 1/2" of water last night (10 hours) with the pump off. I did a food coloring test and it does pull slowly into the light underneath the fixture. Is this something I can/should fix, or is it time to call in a professional?

We were done with the leak!

Thanks in advance,

Becky

You could fix it. Just takes getting some pool putty to use it to seal around the lights cord. Pull the light out, mix of the two part pool putty and then get in pool and put it around the lights cord to seal it. Probably when you pulled on the cord you broke the existing seal on it. If you are worried about the electric, turn the breaker off for the light while working on it.

So far so good! I put the putty on yesterday afternoon and lost NO water overnight. Now I'm nervous that I'll dislodge the putty while I'm re installing the light fixture. Did I mention that I was tired of losing water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.