Sandman1956 is becoming a believer

Jun 9, 2014
Rush, NY
I moved into a house with a pool three years ago and have been at the mercy of advice of dubious value for that entire time, so I am glad to join this site. Already I have gained some information that will help me keep the pool cleaner than in the past without spending a fortune.

I have a pool with around 24000 gallons, two skimmers and three returns, a Hayward sand filter and a Hayward pump. Right now one of the three returns is clogged. Any ideas on how to unclog it?

Some have suggested reversing the flow of water (turn off pump and place water hose at return, turn on water hose). See if you can dislodge "problem".

Another idea would be to use a "fishing tape" commonly used for pulling electrical wire as a "snake".

That's where I'd start. With everything off, stick the garden hose with a jet stream nozzle into the return and have someone else turn it on full blast. If you're really lucky, you'll see dreck come shooting out the other returns. Then turn the pump on and hope you see even more dreck come out all three.