Thread: Pool "chlorine" smell in morning

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool "chlorine" smell in morning

pH 7.5
    CYA 50
    FC maintained between 4 and 7
    TA 80
    CC Zero

I have been noticing a "chlorine" (for lack of a better word) smell around my pool lately - but, only in the morning.

Only noticed this within the past couple of weeks
    It's not overwhelming, but it is there

At first, I was worried that I may have CCs in the pool - but, have tested multiple times since then and not had any detected

Water is clear and feels great

Live in the south (SC) and have super humid conditions for most of the summer and was wondering if this has any bearing on the smell - hot, humid air sitting on top of the water all night with no appreciable breeze etc......(?)

Is this a "normal" observation or might it be an indication of ammonia in the pool?

I don't have any real knowledge of the phenomenon of ammonia in pool water other than seeing it mentioned on the site here and there

The pool recently had a new liner / total water fill and TFPC was immediately initiated with no problems ever noted since that time - pool has been monitored and adjusted as needed daily
    20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump , 100lb sand, installed 2000 - new liner/filter/pump March 2014
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool "chlorine" smell in morning

Whatever is happening, it has nothing really to do with ammonia.

What time of day do you add chlorine? And if in the morning, before or after you notice the smell?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I add chlorine in the evenings typically right after sundown

I always thought ANY "pool chlorine" smell was associated w/ CCs - but, I always test Zero for CCs
    20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump , 100lb sand, installed 2000 - new liner/filter/pump March 2014
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you sure it's a chlorine smell? There is a kind of "clean pool" smell that I notice more in the morning before the wind kicks up.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I'm no expert, but nope. All Chlorinated pools have some Chlorine smell....the overwhelming smell of chlorine is the CC smell AFAIK.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

6. Back To Top    #6

It's certainly not "overwhelming" - however, I only seem to notice it in the morning - and, really, only recently as the weather has gotten increasingly humid - which certainly could be a coincidence.

I was unaware that a properly maintained pool would have any smell at all - perhaps I am just naive or uninformed.
    TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I have a sensitive sniffer, but I can smell the chlorine on a calm day.
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

8. Back To Top    #8

How is the sealant under the coping? On my condo's pool, the sealant is pretty much gone, and there is space under the coping for the water to splash into and stagnate. Smelly.
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

It's quite possible you have a very small amount of CC, say less than 0.5ppm. Humidity increases our sense of smell (think after a spring rain), and if the wind is calm that could certainly allow the small amount of chloromine gas (or whichever gas it is) to be noticable.

If the mystery bothers you try using a 25ml sample to test for CC and see if you get any tinge of pink at all.

JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    It's quite possible you have a very small amount of CC, say less than 0.5ppm. Humidity increases our sense of smell (think after a spring rain), and if the wind is calm that could certainly allow the small amount of chloromine gas (or whichever gas it is) to be noticable.

If the mystery bothers you try using a 25ml sample to test for CC and see if you get any tinge of pink at all.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.
    would a tiny positive for CC warrant a SLAM in this case?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TomBorg View Post
    How is the sealant under the coping? On my condo's pool, the sealant is pretty much gone, and there is space under the coping for the water to splash into and stagnate. Smelly.

This never occurred to me - my coping where it meets the steps is wide open
    I'll have to do a sniff test!
    TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

If CC is less than .5 then no need to SLAM, it is fairly common for some people to have a small amount of CC.

JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

You're likely chasing a Unicorn.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I detect two chlorine smells in pools. The first is when the pool is freshly chlorinated and it smells very similar to the chlorine in the jug.....sort of a sweet, certainly not what I would call unpleasant.

The second is far more acrid and you often smell it in indoor pools.....that is the less than pleasant odor of CC's
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School