Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS-DPD Test

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS-DPD Test

I purchased a K2006 kit this season to do my own testing. Ive been using it and it is great, way better than going to the pool store!
    I have one question regarding the chlorine testing. I was having trouble getting chlorine to even register with the test no matter how much bleach I dump in, so I was concerned perhaps I was testing wrong (slight algae/ammonia problem, better now...still SLAMing!) Anyhow, I watched the how to video by taylor showing their test and have also watched the video for the TFtestkits version. Same powder and same scooper in both kits correct? why does taylor instructions say 2 scoops and TFtestkits says to use one?
    Can someone clarify for me? my thought is why use 2 scoops if I only need 1... powder will last twice as long right?!!

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FAS-DPD Test

Depends on how much you define a scoop to be. You can not use too much powder, but too little can be a problem. One scoop should be plenty are normal levels, you might need two while SLAMing.

Have you also been testing the CC?

This is a time when the OTO chlorine test that comes with the TF-100 is useful ... to be sure whether there is really no chlorine or not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by nopoolstore View Post
    I purchased a K2006 kit this season to do my own testing. Ive been using it and it is great, way better than going to the pool store!
    I have one question regarding the chlorine testing. I was having trouble getting chlorine to even register with the test no matter how much bleach I dump in, so I was concerned perhaps I was testing wrong (slight algae/ammonia problem, better now...still SLAMing!) Anyhow, I watched the how to video by taylor showing their test and have also watched the video for the TFtestkits version. Same powder and same scooper in both kits correct? why does taylor instructions say 2 scoops and TFtestkits says to use one?
    Can someone clarify for me? my thought is why use 2 scoops if I only need 1... powder will last twice as long right?!!

Thanks!
    I was wondering the same thing... the Taylor video shows someone using such heaping scoops that it may as well be 5 scoops instead of 2...!
    ____________________________________________________________ ___________
    15,000 gallon in ground pool with liner, Purex Triton Tagelus sand filter, Pentair Superflo 1HP.... Clinton, MS.

4. Back To Top    #4

One heaping scoop is the perfect amount. Period.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Taylor assumes two level scoops, TFTestKits specifies one heaping scoop. They are both the same amount of powder, just two different ways to get there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Would the same amount of powder be used for both the .5 and .2 resolution tests? It would seem that if you're using a 10ml water sample vs. a 25ml water sample that less powder would be required, though there may not be a proportional relationship there.

7. Back To Top    #7

The Taylor directions say to use the same amount of powder, though logically you should need more powder when you have a larger sample. Actually, the larger sample can't measure FC levels nearly as high as the small sample, and you need enough powder for the total amount of chlorine in the vial, so using the same amount of powder actually makes sense.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you Jason.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem