Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much $$$ would I save running low speed?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much $$$ would I save running low speed?

I find that with 2 skimmers, the flow rate running my pump on high does a much better job of skimming. Currently I have my pool set to run between 8 am and 10 am and 8 pm and 10 pm for 4 hours a day run time. pool looks great, skimmers do a good job keeping it clean. on low I would have to run it double the time to get the same turnover, and with less skimming action.

with my little knowledge of things... im thinking 4 hours on high ~ 8 hours on low = same $$$ ????

im just curious, how much *roughly* does running the pump on low save? are we talking a few bucks a month or a significant amount of money here?

thanks!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much $$$ would I save running low speed?

You save roughly 50% off your electric bill by using a two speed pump on low speed for twice as long rather than high speed. In some situations you can save even more, since you don't always need to run the pump for twice as long.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How much $$$ would I save running low speed?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    You save roughly 50% off your electric bill by using a two speed pump on low speed for twice as long rather than high speed. In some situations you can save even more, since you don't always need to run the pump for twice as long.
    wow. 50%! I never would have thought that. maybe I should keep it on low 4 hours in am, and 4 hrs in pm and only kick it up on high if there is a lot of debris in the pool.... or if im tossing in the barricuda.

thanks Jason!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!